Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

pond maintenance

I have a small pond nearly 1 metre deep which does pretty well. However it is absolutely full of oxygenators mainly Canadian pond weed.  When should I thin this out and how should I do it. Cut the tops out or pull out whole plants.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd pull out whole plants but watch what you're pulling out with it. There'll be all sorts of invertebrate life in there.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • if you are cleaning out the pond or DE-weeding ,put the old weed by the pond edge so small creatures can crawl back into the pond .

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

jns im not sure its the right time to upset the pondimage as there maybe lots of sleeping things in the mud at the bottom that the pond will need as the spring comes on,might be a good idea to check with the people who know best ,somebody should be able to put  you right ,come on you pond experts image

• ThaiGerThaiGer Posts: 165

...I agree with everybody too, not to early, to much creatures live or sleep in this winter time in your plants (you have a pond with 1m depth!) Whait to early spring and observe exactly, what animals coming, out-nothing to lose now, ThaiGer.

• Gracie5Gracie5 Posts: 125

Best time to clean out a pond is Autumn. As you have missed out I would do it now before life in the pond begins in earnest in Spring.