Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Preparig for lawn seed

Afternoon all

Just a quick question, I am currently lifting paving stones to prepare the soil for lawn seed. Around half a spade down below dirt under the slabs are red bricks, is half a spade depth ok for grass seed? What could the red bricks be for?

HELP!

• Grass seeds will germinate with no trouble in half a spades depth of soil. Lightly dig over the top soil, tread the soil back down after, rake over the top to remove any large lumps and to level the ground, you will want the soil to be as fine as possible, adding sand is preferable if the soil is quite thick clay based. spread the seed over the space as evenly as possible, lightly rake in again and that's the job done! Just a waiting game after that, and try to keep the birds away. as impossible as that may be! Also be sure to not let the soil dry out as this will kill any seeds that have started to germinate!

Also I'm sorry but I do not know why the bricks may be there. 

Hope this helps!

-Jerry

• IansyIansy Posts: 24

Thanks Jerry

I thought a half spade would be enough, it's an old house, 1950's, so it might just be things that  have accumulated over the years (the more I dug the more I found,old bricks, old paving stones, very, very big roots etc). Under the paving stones was mainly sand and what my father called wind... something, it looks like very very fine grit. Some slabs also had concrete pads which I have started to break up and dig out.

Out of curiosity, how long from sowing until we have something which resembles a useable lawn?

• cornellycornelly Posts: 970

We found something similar in our front garden when we moved in, we were told it was where the cement mixer was based when the site was bein built, and the waste material was deposited when the job was done, now it is a lovely heather bed, good luck, with your plot.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

It's still  a bit early to sow grass seed. I'd hang fire for a few weeks yet. If you get a lot of rain the seed will rot rather than germinate. If you're in a very sheltered mild area you could take the chance....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Hi Fairygirl

At the moment I am still removing the slabs and turning the soil, I have removed around 80% of the slabs (slow progress as some were sitting on concrete pads) and of the slabs that are turned around half that area has been turned. My aim is to sow the seeds in late March, which given the Scottish weather still doesnt give any guarantees.

Thanks for the adviceimage

Hi all

Wee update on the project and a thanks to everyone for the advice and help, some pics attached.

Thanks again

imageimageimageimageimageimage