London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
15 messages
13/09/2012 at 18:55

I have quite a problem with my neighbours bamboo which is quite a thug.  It is 9ft tall and becoming very rampant, sending thumb-sized spears through into my garden. They travel about 6 inches below the surface and have quite strong roots along their length; it's a hell of a job trying to stop them taking over that end of my garden.  I have tried digging them up but that's quite a task. I would be very grateful if anyone could offer some sort of solution to how I deal with this problem please.

13/09/2012 at 19:34

I am afraid its a thug and will take alot to get rid of if at all.

13/09/2012 at 19:47

I have heard of people sinking a barrier along their boundary beneath the bottom of their fence to stop bamboo from being able to come through. I can't say how well this works as I haven't had to do it myself.

Have you explained to your neighbour how much of a problem it is?

13/09/2012 at 19:48

I think I'd try digging a trench and lining it with Rootex barrier http://www.gardenselect.co.uk/rootex.html

Good luck 

14/09/2012 at 08:19

Gardenguy, if possible, I'd have a word with the neighbours about the problem. It's only going to get worse and there's nothing much you can do. As fast as you dig it out, more will follow. Barriers are of limited use. The runners grow underneath - and even around - most obstacles in their path. I write from bitter experience.

14/09/2012 at 08:27

This seems to be a common problem. There are some other threads about this. For example:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/bamboo-problem/5007.html

But the real problem is not the bamboo. It can't help doing what it was made for. The problem is the gardeners.

It really isn't sensible to grow an invasive bamboo right next to someone else's garden. And it's even questionable whether it's sensible to grow such a plant at all.

And another part of the problem is your relationship with your neighbour. You ought to have a chat with him, and discuss the problem together, and decide between yourselves what to do.

14/09/2012 at 08:31

I foresee bamboo becoming the cupressus leylandii of the 21st century 

14/09/2012 at 08:35

I foresee it becoming the Twitter of the 21st century - invasive, indestructible and insufferable.

14/09/2012 at 08:58

We had this problem in our old house. We took to regularly cutting shoots off at ground level if they came up through the grass, and making a hole in the middle of where we'd cut and putting weedkiller in it. Worked to a certain extent, but it was a nightmare. We were too chicken to speak to our neighbour, but I would say that's your best bet. Must be affecting their garden as well I would have thought!

14/09/2012 at 21:00
My neighbour had stag horn sumach in,his garden that began to threaten my garden. I spoke to him after removing my hands from his throat and explained the,habits,of,this,thing. We both removed it, no hassles ..end of problem. Always best to talk to your neighbour
14/09/2012 at 21:00

I planted a bamboo several years ago not realising it was invasive, it formed large clumps also spread by runners under the membrane and slate into the lawn. I killed the main clumps with weedkiller, several applications, which has been successful but some of the runners are still alive. I paint the leaves with glyphosate and am slowly winning. Hurrah.

27/09/2012 at 23:37

Hi All, Many thanks for all your suggestions. My neighbour planted it at the back of his Koi pond (his pride and joy) and isn't going to dig it all up to get rid of it so I'll continue cutting it back and using weedkiller. 

15/07/2013 at 13:31

Amateur gardener.

I am having the same problems and am desperate to find a solution without killing the plants it is trying to strangle.  Why do people put htis stuff in their gardens and why on earth do garden centres sell it?  It is a nightmare and seems to grow as you watch.

I will try to dig and use the weed killer.  Which is the best to use? Do I water with it, spray it or what? Any information would be greatly appreciated.  I have beautiful Peonies and Maidenhair ferns being slowly engulfed!

01/08/2014 at 09:41

I've just moved into a house with this problem. It comes from my next door neighbour and the neighbour the other side has got runners his side too.! My whole lawn is covered in the damn things. So far I've cut down everything to ground level and mowed over them.

I've got 125ft back garden so can see this is going to be a huge job to eradicate. I've been to the recycling centre with over 20 huge bags of the stuff and it also seems to be a breeding haven for slugs and snails

I dug up most of my old garden (from a rented house which had a nightmare garden of nettles and brambles when I moved in too) and its all sitting in hundreds of pots at mums but think I will leave it there until I've got on top of this. Sounds sad but I'm desperately missing my well loved nurtured plants.

01/08/2014 at 10:55

Amateur gardener, any glyphosate will do if you go down that path. Best to paint it onto exposed wood. Stick with the dosage indicated on the container. Don't be tempted to increase the dose on the basis that it will quicken the process. Too strong and the glyphosate will only kill off the growth in the immediate area of the application and not travel any further through the system.

I found digging the best solution with glyphosate as a fall back. Problem is, while the neighbour's plant remains, the invasion will just go on.

email image
15 messages