London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
21 to 36 of 36 messages
24/10/2013 at 09:30

One carrot to,supply you for a week farmergeddon!  Sounds impressive though 

Despite warnings to the contrary, I find large carrots, if grown well, taste just as good as smaller ones.  deeply cultivated, fertile soil and stable water supplies equal good carrots, carrot fly permitting 

24/10/2013 at 16:17

just answering Red Dahlia on Nemaslug - I have used them over the last couple of years. I apply in Autumn (in the hope that I will kill off some overwintering slugs and any planning to play happy families in the dead leaves) and in Spring. They do seem to reduce the slug population, although of course they don't get rid of them entirely, and I wouldn't want that - they do have a place in the natural order. I garden in the city and there probably isnt a hedgehog for miles. I did see frogs some years ago, but sadly they got that virus that turns them red and died, and I havent seen them since. Have never seen a thrush in my garden. So, despite the best efforts of other birds,  the slugs and snails don't really have enough predators and nemaslug helps adjust the natural balance.

The only major downside is the cost really, nematodes are not cheap. They are also quite arduous to apply - need to be mixed with water, watered onto damp soil and the soil needs the same amount of water again. That can mean a lot of trips up the garden path with a watering can!

They need at least a fortnight to have much effect, and during that time the soil must be kept moist and the temperature needs to be above 5 degrees........ so although it's quite mild and damp at the moment, it probably is best to save your pennies for spring.

24/10/2013 at 17:07

I do it Autumn and Spring too.

25/10/2013 at 00:39

Thanks for the info. Will research cost. do they build up in the soil or only effective for a period??

25/10/2013 at 09:16

Nematodes effective for a few weeks only.  They supplement those already in the soil......increasing the numbers really.  They are expensive and, if applied twice a year in early spring and  late summer/early autumn, should reduce slug population over time.  I tend to "target" certain areas....it would cost a fortune to treat whole garden...with nematodes.  I use them as part of nighttime torch vigils.

25/10/2013 at 11:33

I use cat food. Seriously.  Put out an old saucer with cat food in it. Repeat every day for a week or so. Then go out just after dark and scoop the slugs up.  Once the scent trail has been followed by a couple, they seem to come from all directions and some nights there is practically a queue as they emerge from the flowerbeds.

Confession though, I don't actually scoop the slugs up anymore because (1) I'm completely soft in the head and actually end up feeling quite pleased they look so fat and happy because (2) they can't be bothered to eat the plants anymore because they prefer the cat food. So result anyway.  Mind you, as I watch them stuffing their fat little faces, I do tell them to enjoy the moment as I'm planning on using Nemaslug in the spring, so they're getting fair warning

25/10/2013 at 20:20

LOL I love mental gardeners!

25/10/2013 at 20:41

Gotta like MACAVITYTHECAT's attitude.  It's great    Laid back, man!  

17/11/2013 at 21:38

I go for the "Torch Patrol at Dusk" approach - followed by another round at dawn. After an intensive week of this treatment in early summer, I can generally enjoy the rest of the season relatively 'slug/ snail-free' - or am I just deluding myself!!??

17/11/2013 at 22:01

My method too but nighttime only.  

17/11/2013 at 22:42

I start to give plants a spray of watered down liquid seaweed from about March. At first I thought it was the smell the slugs didn't like but it must be the salt in the liquid and the spray doesn't do the plants any harm. 

17/11/2013 at 23:01

Zoomer, interesting.

A friend of mine kills nothing or controls anything.  Her plants were decimated by slugs,  snails and rabbits.  Early this year I suggested she spray her plants with seaweed extract.  Her plants have thrived without any serious attack. 

I have used raw seaweed for years ....not so much lately as its harder now to get....and the salt and texture were great natural deterrents.  However, seaweed spray  is,  I feel, very effective.

17/11/2013 at 23:12

Can we spray this on plants and all veg??? Where do we buy this? Are we talking sprayer or watering can??

18/11/2013 at 01:42

Can do both.  Spraying is best though I think.  Seaweed is a tonic more than feed though. Available in garden centres.  Wouldn't use it now though.  Wait until spring

18/11/2013 at 13:43

Will do thanks V!!!!

think u should have your own page! resident expert...

18/11/2013 at 20:58

email image
21 to 36 of 36 messages