Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Raised bed and breeding my own slugs!!

Every night I take out the dog I spy sooooo many baby slugs on my raised bed! So can I introduce natural besties to eat them? Nema something's??

or do I just lace it in slug pellets???

• Nemaslug.  Do it quickly before the soil temp drops below 5 degrees C.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Try a small dish or yoghurt pot of beer. They drown in it. I caught 30 in 1 night in one.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Hedgehogs - that's why we need to encourage hedgehogs - they just hoover the small slugs up.  But I know if you've not got hedgehogs around that's a long term project - of course frogs and toads also eat those little slugs that come out at night and glisten in the torchlight - and robins and blackbirds poke around my veg patch at dawn - I presume that's what they're having for breakfast too.  

However, if you've got more than will feed your wildlife population at the moment, then yes Nemaslug in the spring - just as the soil warms up and they're getting active again - you'll get far more of them if you do it then.image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Lol Verdun - is Dove's hog wearing a pinny? 

• No chance of hedgehogs as my garden is built up and the raised bed is 20" tall so unless anyone knows of hedgehogs on stilts that won't help. I may put traps on and then these nema things in spring.

do share, what are they how do they work, are they expensive. Are there any cons?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Put a ramp up the side of the raised bed, hedgehogs will use them readily.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Is this who you saw Verdun?

Sorry Red Dahlia image

By the way, yes they will use ramps - ours use them to get up onto the Shady Bank which is two sleepers on their edges tall. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Sad but they can't get in or out so no chance and the garden isn't big enough to introduce one. The dog would love a spikey friend!!