London (change)
Sat 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
1 to 20 of 33 messages
02/06/2014 at 10:59

Hello,

I am a beginner in terms of gardening but enjoy it immensely and am new to this forum so grateful for any help and advice.

I love roses and have planted three or four types in my garden. The white roses often end up with black spots on the leaves.

I also have some beautiful red roses which have just started blooming, but they have white spots on them and look pretty awful. 

I have no idea what us causing the problems or how to treat them so any advice would be most grateful. 

I've attached a couple of photos.

Thanks

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/47840.jpg?width=523&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/47841.jpg?width=523&height=350&mode=max

02/06/2014 at 11:34

Hello, Bev.....welcome to the forum.

The 'white spots' you speak of, is mildew. A fungal disease  that  is very common in roses I'm afraid.

Treatment? You'll need to spray with something like 'Rose Clear'.

The reasons your rose blooms may look a tad sad, is because of rain damage......it's always like this with big blousy blooms so it's a good idea to gently shake the water out of them after rain.

02/06/2014 at 11:46

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for the welcome and advice.

I will make sure I get the spray today. 

A lot of my friends have memories of gardening with their parents / grandparents, but unfortunately I wasn't fortunate enough to have that experience. My 10 year old daughter loves helping me out in the garden so we are on this wonderful journey together.

Again, many thanks for your advice.

02/06/2014 at 12:19

"A lot of my friends have memories of gardening with their parents / grandparents, but unfortunately I wasn't fortunate enough to have that experience."

Yes, this is often the way of it.....gardening with parents/grandparents I mean.

"My 10 year old daughter loves helping me out in the garden so we are on this wonderful journey together."

What a wonderful journey this will be for you both and credit to you for encouraging her.....but I would urge you both not to get too downhearted when things don't go well.

Remember, they are a lot of people here with lots of knowledge who are always prepared to help.

Good luck.

02/06/2014 at 12:36

PS. The black spots on your roses is a fungal disease too, called (surprise surprise) 'Rose Black Spot'.

I would suggest you remove the affect leaves and burn them and don't allow a build-up of affected leaves around the bushes.....it encourages the spoors to spread.

Interestingly, rose black spot has become more widespread since the air has become cleaner. In the old days when most people had coal fires, it was rare......this is because the sulphur in the air killed those spoors.

02/06/2014 at 12:44

Hi Bev I' m a huge rose fan too,and my little girl of 3 is my best little helper, I'm a pretty new gardener so haven't anything to add apart from have you fed your Roses? You'll find loads of friendly advice here

02/06/2014 at 13:28

Bev, I'm not sure I've given you the right advice.

Since I replied to your query, I have enlarged you pics and have to say that the foliage seems to be healthy, which would rule out mildew.

The only damage I can see to the flowers seems to be weather related....so would appreciate other's opinions.

02/06/2014 at 15:07

Hi David,

This gardening lark i certainly a learning curve for me, but I do love coming home from work on a summers evening, to relax in the garden. I'm pretty squeamish to my daughter is thankfully on hand to deal with slugs and snails; I LOVE Hostas and have quite a few which have been doing pretty well this year.

Your advice has been helpful in that I know what to look for in terms of identifying fungal infections. 

02/06/2014 at 15:12

Hi rosemummy,

Do you know I haven't fed them - what do you use? I'll take a look in a local nursery to see what they have.

I think my reliance on my hubby and his so-called knowledge will cease as I will be referring to this forum instead!

I can't help myself - every time I go out, I'm picking something up. I have pink campion, hosts, roses, lilies, bearded iris, foxgloves.. the list is endless. I'm out of work at the moment so making the most of watering the garden daily. I tidied up the front of my house and planted fragrant flowers which have been smelled and notice by visitors as they come in.

The garden is bee friendly garden and now our four year old German Shepherd has grown out of trampling all over everything, the garden is starting to resemble something nice to look at

02/06/2014 at 15:27

I use a rose feed from David Austin and as with everything else, they get tomato feed when in flower, I have just bought a general feed for all other plants as I haven' t fed much before, as I say, I' m pretty new to gardening too, always been interested but moving house and having our own garden rather than a 2 square meter bit of grass open to shared backyard made me a woman obsessed!

02/06/2014 at 15:33

Great, thanks for the feed advice. I will definitely go and get some.

I know what you mean about moving house etc. But between that and silly hours spent away from home in the office got in the way of me being able to do anything. 

Our garden is quite big (approx. 100x50ft). The main problem we have with it is that the entire right hand side is forever shrouded in shade thanks to our neighbours cobnut and out of control Ash tree (that the tree surgeon estimates is about 60 years old and has never been pruned). I had it pruned back a bit last year as it was hanging over the rear of our garden and into the neighbours the other side of us. It's still quite shady, so I'm now looking for plants happy in shade. We have a wonderful nursery near us (not one of the well known chains) so I'll go take a look

02/06/2014 at 16:26

Bev - probably a good thing you posted your potential problem here anyway, inasmuch as you will be wiser for the future.

As for now, it may be advisable to remove your damaged flowers to encourage the plant to produce more.

02/06/2014 at 16:28

Perfect, will do. Thanks David

03/06/2014 at 08:28

bev we have a shady border and have a fair few successful plants growing, i got alah titchmarsh 'gardening in the shade' found it useful, i even have 2 roses 'gertrude jekyll' and zepherine drouhin' on north northwest part

Bal
03/06/2014 at 08:41

Great thread. I love roses and have managed to keep alive one we bought in France 3 years ago. It has been moved 4 times poor thing, but always in pot. Finally planted it in a large patio pot, until its final resting place is ready. It has just stated to flower. I added some slow release fertiliser when I potted it up about 4 weeks ago, should I still give it tomorite. It has about 6 buds on it and 2 beautiful blooms.

03/06/2014 at 08:59

that's great bal, i moved our poor gertrude 4 times from old house! she looks better than ever now, lots of buds, 2 stunning flowers open, keep going out to smell, i'm rose obsessed as my name may suggest, planted 12 in last 16 months... just 3 or 4 more i want that i can possibly squeeeeeze on somewhere!

03/06/2014 at 17:26

Hi rosemummy,

Do you know I haven't fed them - what do you use? I'll take a look in a local nursery to see what they have.

I think my reliance on my hubby and his so-called knowledge will cease as I will be referring to this forum instead!

I can't help myself - every time I go out, I'm picking something up. I have pink campion, hosts, roses, lilies, bearded iris, foxgloves.. the list is endless. I'm out of work at the moment so making the most of watering the garden daily. I tidied up the front of my house and planted fragrant flowers which have been smelled and notice by visitors as they come in.

The garden is bee friendly garden and now our four year old German Shepherd has grown out of trampling all over everything, the garden is starting to resemble something nice to look at

03/06/2014 at 18:13

Bev, all rose feeds are much of a muchness really......most for summer feed are high in potash.

I find Wilkinson's Rose Feed works perfectly well.

03/06/2014 at 18:46

Lovely, thanks David 

03/06/2014 at 21:48
BevG wrote (see)

Lovely, thanks David 

...meant to say, it's just £1.50 per 1kg, Bev.

1 to 20 of 33 messages