Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Saving private Sunflower

I planted some sunflowers a couple of weeks ago (I kinda went overboard and planted tons of seeds mid April probably too early...) I have had two come up but before I even was able to see them and feel pleased with myself something snipped the growl leaves off. I have sprinkled the garden and the puts liberally with blue organic slug pellets and they are on a patio so I think it might be a feathery foe. What do you lot do to protect them? Last year I had only one that had self seeded in a crack next to the house. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Probably something retaliating against the liberal use of slug pellets

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

Ha ha ha. You can never have too many weapons against the dreaded slug!

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

The sunflower hearts which I give the birds have self sown all OVER the flower beds. First I would tie them in to a cane to stop them getting wind damage, a few slug pellets and if you think it is being attacked by birds, though I have never experienced this, a plastic bottle with both ends cut off for the first few weeks may help; I do this sometimes for Morning Glory. image

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697
    Please do try the plastic bottle cure mentioned by artjak. If you're feeling adventurous, cut the top edge with pinking shears to give a serrated edge. It isn't just birds that could be attacking your new seedlings......there is a host of little creatures out there that like dainty new shoots.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Ceres, brill idea, the pinking shearsimage

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

I*ll try the bottle trick. I have used that for my Clematis and Dahlias with success. I think I probably need to do a second sowing as there are no more coming up now and the ones that have where nipped in the bud so to say before I even could try to protect them.