London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
11 messages
20/07/2014 at 23:46
Suddenly you find that you have a garden. Possibly a very large area is taken up with a lawn. Now then. There's room for another thread. So. The lawn, grass patch whatever. Perhaps you spent ages preparing the site. Then sowing the best seed. As with most seed sowings. Be prepared for all sorts to emerge. So jumping ahead. The now established lawn. Hey, what's this. Lots of dead grass, and look. Surely that is moss and loads of other unwantables. The dead grass is what is called, 'thatch' This really is in most cases, lawn mowings etc that have avoided picking up. In some cases, they will rot down and help the spoil. In others. They can build up. Then moss and other strange plants. So what can the lawn owner do. OK books TV etc all offer so much info. Naturally if you have a lawn, you want it to look good, at least from a distance. Suddenly the topic of scarifying the lawn is bought to your attention. Oh how the commercial side of horticulture starts rubbing it's hands. Buy this feed, weed and kill. Try this perfect tool etc. Despite the fact that garen folk usually are a great bunch. Believe me. We all can be so gulliable at times. So what is scarifying? Basically it is a method, means of actually raking out the dead stuff and the mosses etc. If I had the power to ban a certain garden tool. It would have to be the bladed rake. I can't give it any other name. Much better and loved is the basic wire lawn rake. An assembly of steel wire set in a fan shape. The purpose of scarifying. To loosen, dislodge unwanted plants etc. Now sadly. The tines cannot sort out the wheat from the tares. So at time some grass plants will get gathered up. The basic idea is to rake, dislodge the unwanted. The wire tines do this to perfection. The dreaded blade type simply severes and chops up everything. The actual act of scarifying, compared to basic lawn raking. The angle and pressure applied to the rake varies. For basic lawn raking such as leaf clearing. Very little effort is required. For scarifying, a wee bit more pressure is needed. On large areas. I suggest using a string line to divide the area. On smaller lawns. Just walk over the area and spot the enemy and scrub them out. Collectin the waste. Small areas cane dealt with using a wheel barrow etc. Larger areas. The mower can be used, if it has a collection box. To be honest friends. So many ordinary everyday gardeners suddenly become. Over involved.. Take each day as it comes. Listen to advice etc and the form your own way. Remember. After scarifying. Use a roller or mower with a roller to press down the grass roots.
Edd
21/07/2014 at 01:10

Hi again Mike.

Can i have permission  to alter the above statement for those who do not have grass? 

I hope for it to be funny (only time will tell, with that) and that it is no disrespect to you but i would like your consent to alter it and hope you find it funny and like it too.

What i am trying to say is would you mind if i take the piss out of the above statment as long as i do not cause offence to you as it is not meant. Bugger me im sh*t with words????

Any objection. Mike ? Just say.

Regards

Edd.

21/07/2014 at 07:10
Mike - I do our lawn twice a year but never really know when is best to do it. Do you think there are good and bad times?
21/07/2014 at 07:24

Tell you what, Edd. Forget it.

21/07/2014 at 08:01

I thought a scarifying rake was another name for a lawn rake

21/07/2014 at 08:03
Clarington wrote (see)
Mike - I do our lawn twice a year but never really know when is best to do it. Do you think there are good and bad times?

I do ours in the late autumn and early spring - well, that's the plan anyway 

21/07/2014 at 08:36

What do you do with the moss? I have several bin bags full and I don't think it can be composted.

21/07/2014 at 08:40

If it's not been treated with a Moss Killer then pop it somewhere dry, and in the spring bundle it up or put it in a wire mesh cage like you get to put bird fat cakes in and hang in your garden in the very early spring  - the birds will come and get it to build their nests 

Lyn
21/07/2014 at 09:54

Firstly. I dont think that people who buy feed weed and moss killer to treat their lawns are 'Gullible'

I would like to see you use a ball of string to mark out my grass, blimey is there one so big!

How does the scarifying lawn rake remove dandelions, plantain, sorrell etc, pretty strong rake I reckon, where do you buy such a tool?

21/07/2014 at 14:16

Dove that is a great idea. I never use any 'killers' of any sort so can certainly use a bag for the birds. I expect the rest will go to the tip.

21/07/2014 at 22:02
Edd. Be my guest. You wont be the first or last to have a, 'dig'
Lyn. Have you given thought about calling your lawn, a meadow!

Regarding using a line as a guide. Remember you will be moving backwards. Unless you are blessed with eyes in your ****, then you could end up next door. If still in doubt. Try hand scarifying a sports area.
email image
11 messages