London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
5 messages
09/08/2014 at 16:35

Hi everyone, my very first post in this superior forum was to ask about this rhodi.  At the time I couldn't post photos but a toolbar has now appeared out of nowhere so, can anyone advise what is happening to this plant?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/55881.jpg?width=240&height=320&mode=max

I know it looks swamped by weeds but this is recent, ground has been clean

09/08/2014 at 16:51

Hi Lilly

First of all give the plant a feed of Fish Blood and Bone for this year

You will need to hard prune the plant to get it into a better shape, hard pruning is better done end of Feb. Some plants wont survive hard pruning of all the foliage, its best to do a bit at a time even over a 3 year period

In the spring prune back some of the higher branches to 6 inches from the soil and leave the lower ones and follow that in the next 2 years you will lose the flowering on the pruned areas for about 2 years, but if you do it bit by bit you will get some flowering on the lower areas that you havent pruned

09/08/2014 at 17:21

There are a number of possible causes for the leaves of rhododendrons turning yellow.  Is there any chance you could take a close-up of one of the leaves which are part-green and part yellow please Lily?  We should then be able to diagnose the problem more accurately as the photo is too small to see clearly.

Likely and common causes are lack of food, drought, overwatering or alkaline soil.

09/08/2014 at 18:32

Great gents thank you, will take a photo in the morning. The skies are very dark here just now and there is the sound of chinking ice cubes coming from the OH's tray!

10/08/2014 at 16:11

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/55947.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

Hi Bob, here is a close up of my poorly plant, it's very very wet here ( we had a big tree down last night) and the lower leaves look even lower than the were yesterday 

I really don't want to loose this plant.  opinions welcome!

email image
5 messages