London (change)
Today 20°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
13/04/2012 at 15:27

What is a cheap way of getting rid of Slugs and Snail. (l do find many Snails have been eaten) l have tried most things.

13/04/2012 at 16:01

Encouraging birds, beetles, frogs and hedgehogs  Beer traps work too, but it's a terrible waste of beer!

13/04/2012 at 17:56

With the lung worm about getting rid of slugs is my objective this month as we have 2 dogs that insist on eating anything and everything in sight. We have ordered some meds off Amazon so they will soon be protected.

Copper tape is supposed to be good and we are about to research the bugs that prey on slugs - yuck

14/04/2012 at 12:53

Thank you for your comments.

14/04/2012 at 13:44
Put carpet on the ground for a while they love the dark moist conditions then after a week or two lift the carpet and put them in a bucket to feed to the chicken or let the birds have them
28/05/2012 at 08:10
Slugs and snails I have got you beaten in this dry weather .How to keep them off of my plants in pots ,just done some wall papering had some solvat paste over put some around the bottom of the pots flicked the slug pellets onto it like pebble dashing they stick, It drys the pellets stay where they are. What if it rains you might ask, well the pellets will just drop around the bottom of the pot still keeping them at bay.
28/05/2012 at 10:18

Copper tape does help around the hosta pots, using nematodes is good but a) very hard work, and b) nature abhors a vacuum, so all the neighbours slugs and snails come in once they realise ours had died!!   The organic pellets help a bit, but in the end we have to realise that we do share our gardens with all other living things - and sadly that includes slugs and snails.  I wonder if we would like ladybirds as much as most of us do, were they a different colour and pattern?

29/05/2012 at 09:16

Try Slug Clear.Its a concentrate and you put it in water.Think its 30mls to 2 gallons.Water it all over the vunerable plants (I use it for Hostas) and then it dries so now harm to pets.Last for several weeks and it works.Homebase sell it and larger garden centres.

29/05/2012 at 14:02
Thanks Jenny will give it a try because the paste in the pot is getting to become watery......no stick.
29/05/2012 at 14:21

I have a major infestation!  I squashed 100s in the last few days.  I go out in the morning & lift them & then again in the evening, but one day I even went out in the dark at midnight & got about 100, and that was after two major collections earlier!  In fairness they've been kept at bay, possibly cuz it's been so dry, but my focus has been on my veg patch.  My flowers have been munched to the ground!  I've just ordered nemaslug from Amazon, cuz I've loads of stuff to go in the ground, but I'm afraid the slugs will have it all stripped before I can get enough coffee grounds to protect them.  Have to say, coffee grounds are the most effective thing I've used next to ash from the fire.  The benefit of coffee grounds is that they'll fertilize the soil, where the ash won't unless it's pure wood ash.  The drawback of coffee grounds is that it can form an impenetrable barrier that hinders water getting to the plant.

29/05/2012 at 14:45

Dolly, if you're finding that quite a lot of snails have been eaten, please don't even think about any kind of poison. I have no hedgehogs (apart from my three rescues that I adopted yesterday) and the Song Thrushes have been missing for many years. It's a vicious circle, people poison slugs, slug predators die so there are no predators to eat the slugs so more slugs, more poison .....   I use physical barriers as suggested above and I've given up on hostas etc!

29/05/2012 at 22:44
My birds have done a rubbish job at gettin rid of me slugs. I don't like beer traps cuz they kill beetles too, so I'm gonna try the biological control.
02/06/2012 at 01:29
02/06/2012 at 07:18
I have tried the garlic wash mentioned on this website and It does seem to be working ( Beer traps didn't work for me at all, neither did organic slug pellets or copper tape which is around almost every pot i own!
02/06/2012 at 08:15

A couple of years ago my neighbour and I experimented with snails and taking them from their habitat, to see if they returned. We each took five snails and marked with different coloured nail polish (on the shell!) we placed our own snails into the others garden and waited to see if they returned. Yes they did! all of mine returned, four within a few days, and the fifth I had given up on but found 12 months later, still with its nail polish on!!!! I wonder just how far they will travel 'back home'? I have told my husband on many occassions NOT to throw them over the fence, as like the terminator, they will be back!

02/06/2012 at 08:36

The Saint.....if you use yoghurt pots half filled with beer and don't sink them right into the ground, ie leave a lip about half an inch above ground, beetles don't usually fall in.

There are folks who empty the beer and slugs onto their compost heaps every couple of days, or if they are making comfrey tea, slop it into to the mix....not sure whether thats a wise move or not!

02/06/2012 at 11:27

I  hate slugs and snails....i pick them off, put them on newspaper and pour salt over them..then wrap them up.   I have no mercy!  my mum chops them in half with shears... yuk

03/06/2012 at 10:40

Get blue pellets at Wilkinsons they only cost a few pounds and kill alot of snails and slugs.

04/06/2012 at 15:18

I have a method of stopping them eating your plants which is 100% effective! but won't work when it's wet, so it does have a down side.

Go to a horse feed dealer and buy a sack of bran. You can get it from a supermarket but you will pay dearly for it wheras you can get a 20kg sack of it for about £7! imagine how long that would last.

Just sprinkle a good amount around your plant, I sprinkle a ring around my dahlias, when the slugs try to cross it they are dehydrated immediately and in the morning you will find loads and loads of them just sitting on the bran. When I had Koi, I used to feed the slugs to them.

You could bury some sort of guttering pipe into the ground around the edges of your beds, you would just have to scrap out the old wet bran when it rains and replace it. It really does work!!!!!!!!!

06/06/2012 at 18:42

Horrible aren't they?  Shudder!

I am using nematodes this year for the first time and so far so good.   Think it's saved my runner beans from premature death!

1 to 20 of 24 messages