London (change)
Today 18°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
7 messages
24/04/2013 at 16:06

Hi All

I have just attempted to grow a lawn from seed, I laid about 4 to 6 inches of topsoil over the area, and sprinkled the lawn seed,and water 2 times daily, This was 2 weeks ago,and nothing seems to be happening,i did not rake the seed in or cover with a fine layer of top soil or use a starter fertilizer. will this mean the seed will not germinate or am i being to impatient, Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Mick

24/04/2013 at 16:10

Any minute now I should think Mick. And look carefully, the first appearance looks like a brown haze before the green shows. Don't water it too much, twice a day seems a lot this early in the year.

24/04/2013 at 16:20

thanks Nutctlet.

That seems to reasure me a lot i will keep you posted

24/04/2013 at 16:35

Never had grass seed fail yet Mick and all I do is sprinkle it on the soil and water when I remember. 3 weeks to a green haze we reckon here.

24/04/2013 at 17:10

It may not have been warm enough for long enough where you live. Wait a bit.

24/04/2013 at 18:05

I agree with Busy-Lizzie. Mid April is normally a good time to sow but this year I reckon we are around 2 weeks behind. Water daily. The seed won't die on you, it will germinate when the soil temperature is right. now the weather has warmed up I'd be surprised if you don't see green shoots within the week. 

24/04/2013 at 18:27
Hiya mick
I agree with everyone else.
I would hold back on the watering twice a day is bit over the top.
When it germinates keep it moist
I would have raked the seed in though but it should still be fine
If you kneel down and look at your seed bed horizontally you may see a green haze....bit soon yet but in another 10 days or so
email image
7 messages