Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Speakers for the club

Hi Everyone,

I live in the West Midlands and have recently taken on the role of finding speakers for our local gardening club. We are around the South Staffs, West Midlands, N Worcestershire borders. Can anyone out there recommend speakers from this area? (No personal details, just the name and subject should do it).

Thanks,

Carly

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

The RHS have a list of speakers, it's on the website.

So do the Hardy Plant Society.

You can also look on the websites of other gardening groups and see who they have as speakers. 

Or  nursery owners, lots of very knowledgeable people there.

If you go to plant fairs, speak to the stallholders. Many can do a good talk on their specialty

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • CurlyCarlyCurlyCarly Posts: 80

Thanks Nutcutlet, you've given me some good pointers there.

CC

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Carrie Thomas of Touchwood does talks http://www.touchwoodplants.co.uk/Talks.htm 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Thanks Dovefromabove.

I looked at her site and would be very interested. I think Swansea may be too far away (we're in South Staffs) but I will contact her to check.

Thanks again,

CC

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

The RHS speakers list is on their website 

In the sticks near Peterborough

Thanks everyone. I should be up to speed for the next five years soonimage

I've been in touch with Carrie Thomas

http://www.touchwoodplants.co.uk/Talks.htm  

It's a long way for her to come for one meeting. We meet on the last Thursday of each month. Carrie suggests there if there is another club in the West Midlands/South Staffs/ Worcestershire area that meets on the last Wed or Friday we might be in business. Is there anyone out there???

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

It might be worth you contacting the local Alpine Garden Society group too. My partners grandparents are members and both give speeches but regularly go to talks. They might be able to suggest a few Speakers for you.

www.alpinegardensociety.net

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

This is a case of you go to them, but maybe a bus trip?.

http://www.ashwoodnurseries.com/events/wildlife-garden/

Well said Mike. Our group are as most a mixed bag. Some very knowledgeable, others complete beginners and most somewhere in the middle. We've had some very entertaining speakers who manage to appeal to all - a hard act to follow every time.

Onward and upward.