London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 6°C
4 messages
19/06/2012 at 15:30

I planted a Betula Utilis Jacquemonti ( snow Queen ) last October it is doing vey well and about 11 ft high I have 2 problems I need help with 1) How long to do I need to stake it for ? 2) above it about 150ft up is part of the canopy of a Scots pine not on my property ( Love it ) and the birch is bending slightly as the sun is coming from the front and side does anyone think it will straighten out as it gets larger or will it always f go for the light source.?

Thanks

19/06/2012 at 15:38

As long as the tie is not unduly constricting the growth of the tree, I'd keep the stake.

I planted a number of fruit trees early this Spring, expecting they would need some support. But we haven't actually had any prolonged strong winds. The proverbial March winds didn't happen.

I would imagine that the tree will always seek the light. If it's growing to one side then that gives the tree some character, IMO.

19/06/2012 at 16:10

Most trees only need staking for a year or two. With a Birch tree I would try to keep it there as long as possible as Birch's have a very shallow root system. Do check the tie regularly as these are fast growing trees and re-new when it becomes to tight.  

The tree will not straighten itself so if you want yours to be straight you'll need to tie it to the current stake, or elongate the stake and then tie the tree to it.

19/06/2012 at 17:11

Thanks for the replies.

email image
4 messages