London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
7 messages
29/07/2012 at 16:49
http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/10358.jpg?width=350

can anyone tell me whats wrong with my lily, leaves turned black and flower buds fell off.

29/07/2012 at 17:09

It can be caused by excess water, but others may have other ideas, too.

If it is just the wet, it'll be OK next year.

29/07/2012 at 17:10

Lily beetle alert- at 11 o'clock

29/07/2012 at 18:10
sotongeoff wrote (see)

Lily beetle alert- at 11 o'clock

Very well spotted!!! Can the original poster see the little red beetle in the leaf axil.

The leaves on other nearby stems all look in good condition. So why does just that one stem appear to be like that. That stem obviously comes from a different bulb. I wonder if it's a different variety of lily.

Very dark red lilies do sometimes develop a reddish tinge to the leaves, although if the buds are falling off, there's clearly something wrong. I'd suspect maybe a virus of some kind.

29/07/2012 at 21:33

That stem does look ill, I also suspect a virus, several of my lilies in pots this year had lily virus, which starts with missahpen leaves, which go streaky and white, rather than the dark leaf we see here.   It may be a different liy, but if does not look well to me.  I'd be very inclined to remove it, if you then feel it is OK you can replant it in a pot or in isloation while you wait and see? 

30/07/2012 at 21:24

thanks friends these lilies are all the same, 8 of them 2 ill 2 getting ill,the rest ok, it cant be lily beatle because their babies eat the leaves , allso the leaves are not miss shaped , could be a virus, allthough  months ago before the weather warmed up the leaves were going the same way ,but when the weather warmed up the leaves returned to green again. ???????????? I'm puzzled.

31/07/2012 at 06:01
mcthedad wrote (see)

... when the weather warmed up the leaves returned to green again. ..

That's very interesting. In that case, I'd do nothing. The dark leaves do look in good shape (apart from the colour).

The reason why the leaves of trees go red in Autumn is because they are returning various nutrients (which help give the leaves a green colour) back to their roots. Maybe there's something similar going on, but that's just wild speculation.

You still to be vigilant for those lily beetles.

email image
7 messages