Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

stopping my cats pooing and weeing on my flower beds

Hi there wondered if anyone can help. I have two cats both go toilet outdoors and one also uses a littertray which is outdoors. Issue is they and possibly other cats are using my flowerbeds as a littertray. Keep finding bulbs dug up too. V frustrating. I remove everything and have used orange peel. And used coffee grounds and the stay off powder which iscitrus based. But no success. Any ideas?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Unless you are perfectly happy to carry on with sprays and water pistols which just encourage your pets to do their business in someone else's garden making the likes of non cat owning me the one having to suffer from your cats digging up our bulbs and getting cat poo on our hands putting those of us who wish to get pregnant at risk of passing Toxoplasmosis to our unborn child (very nasty) because we wanted to innocently grab something from our vegetable plot...

Your only alternative is to train your cats to only use the litter tray you already provide them. There are plenty of sites on the internet about how to train your cat.

Take responsibility for the fact that like all animals your cat has to toilet somewhere.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

wise words, well spoken Clarington.

Devon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

I agree Clari - we should never under-estimate the damage caused by toxoplasmosis infection - as someone whose career involved the assessment and support of severely physically and learning disabled children, I can confirm that infection by toxoplasmosis results in some of the most severely disabled children in the UK. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/how-toxoplasma-spreads-and-spreads-8102711.html

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• filmbuffyfilmbuffy Posts: 77
    Erm.ok. I understand its an issue for a lot of people. But should we make cats extinct because of it or find solutions? As far as I am aware. Having owned cats for many years is you cant make them go in a specific place. As stated in my original post. They DO have a litter tray. Which is more then most cat owners do when their cats go outside. !!
  • cotty1000cotty1000 Posts: 293

How about keeping them indoors? A lot of people have house cats with litter trays indoors,at least you will be able to train them and keep an eye on them.

Don't think anyone's advocating extinction FB, but it is a big issue for gardeners, parents and potential parents as I'm sure you understand. image

I've owned cats in the past, and they've had dry sand trays in sheltered places (eg. the log store) which they've used.  Of course I couldn't monitor them 24/7 but I did speak to gardening neighbours who said they were not aware of my cats using their gardens.

We are surrounded by cats here, and we don't have any ourselves, and we do get 'loo visits' imagethe neighbours' cats - I've bought rolls of chicken wire to make wire cloches to protect seedlings in the veg patch, and I will clap, shout, chase and fire a water pistol at them when they peek their noses through the Hedgehog Gate in the fence.  Our neighbours know that we would never hurt them, but we are not averse to giving them a good scaring!  It doesn't seem to put them off us, as when we go out of our front door the neighbours' cats come and greet us for a bit of a fuss image

Our immediate neighbours keep their cats in overnight, which does help a bit.  It would be good if everyone did the same, for the sake of gardeners, the wildlife and the cats themselves - it is usually in the early hours of the morning that cats become traffic victims. 

• filmbuffyfilmbuffy Posts: 77
    Cotty. That would be cruel to keep cats indoors. I assume you have never owned cats then.

Yes I appreciate it is a big problem. As I am also experiencing it myself. I know how frustrating it is. As a responsible cat owner. I go out of my way to ensure that I do all I can so that they are not being a nuisance. And come on forums like this for advice. Not to be lectured on responsible animal ownership.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.