Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

The age old problem of cats !

Does anyone have a tried and tested way to keep next doors cat from using my newly planted flowerbed as her personal toilet? I have tried orange peel scattered around, also short sticks pushed into the ground and have just ordered a product called 'Get Off', and will update you on the result on that. but in the meantime I'm on guard!!

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Teabags soaked in diluted Jeyes Fluid work, cats hate the smell!image

• Thank you! I will try it and let you know how I get on...

• cypresseedcypresseed Posts: 12

Have a water pistol handy and spray, as much as I'm a cat lover I'm a gardener too!

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657
    Hi Betty,its all been said before, but we are cat free for months now due to Jeyes ready to use spray or diluted from the tin,Wilco,s cheapest so far ,don't spray on plants but near to them is ok, if you dig or disturb the soil in any way spray again ,it takes about a week to cure the cats and it lasts when used ongoing for weeks or months at a spray, iv had one visit in 5/6 months because i planted and forgot to spray around the new plant,IT WORKS i now spray once a month lightly,Try it.and good luck.
  • Wow Im impressed, will definately try that! Thanks for the tip....

• LeekieLeekie Posts: 7

Give the cat treats! I live on a farm with 10 cats and they're in my garden all the time..I keep treats in my greenhouse they know I treat them so they use next doors garden instead!

• Ha, not a prayer, dont get me wrong, I like cats in general, but I am not treating them to titbits if all Im getting is poo!!

• Who needs 10 cats?

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447
    Joe_the_Gardener wrote (see)

Who needs 10 cats?

Farm, mice, cats!

• I have heard that fresh chilli seeds and garlic workimage