Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

The light fingered kohl rabi thief.

I have (had) a patch of kohl rabi growing in my polytunnel 1 - 3 " in diameter. Due to the wet nature of our local climate I choose ventilation over temperature and only close the doors at night on very cold nights.

Last night a very careful thief entered the tunnel and has taken the kohl rabi not touching anything else. Carrots, beets, sprouts, onions, garlic, cabbage & radish were all ignored. There is no scratching or digging evident on the soil, no footprints, the curtain of agri fleece unruffled. The leaves have been left behind, however there is no debris other debris, the globes have vanished without a trace not even a dimple where they were rooted in the ground.

We do have badgers come into the garden digging big holes in the grass & helping themselves to my jerusalem artichokes, however I would have expected evidence of them, some impression in the soil.

There is a mouse hole nearby, could they have carted them off whole?

Anyone with any ideas would be appreiciated. I have closed the doors tonight!

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

Awww, shame.  Do you have fox visitors.  Luscious kohlrabi would be right up their street.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    happymarion wrote (see)

Awww, shame.  Do you have fox visitors.  Luscious kohlrabi would be right up their street.

I don't think any self-respecting fox would eat kholrabi!  Could be a two-legged thief.

My foxes go off with my onions if i leave them out to dry and I have seen one wrenching long runner beans from the bottom of my bean plants so why not kohlrabi?

• BriggsyBriggsy Posts: 71

I think foxes are messy eaters & this culprit has been extremely neat and tidy. I'm beginnng to suspect squirrels.

The leaves have been carefully removed and left in-situ, the rest has been carted off!

Never thought of them.  Yes, they will be out foraging in this mild weather.  i have lots so will have to guard my kohlrabi in my raised beds, just in case they fancu a chamge from nuts.

• How about the giant Spanish snail that's invading our shores/soil.