Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

tomato plants in containers all going pale

I have grown lots of cherry tomato plants for the first time this year. Half I've grown in the ground and the other half in containers. I have plucked suckers on all plants which have all been planted with bonemeal also. The issue now is whilst all the tomato plants in the ground are thriving, dark green and bushy. The container plants which contain the same soil from the ground as well as well rotted manure, these plants are all really pale and quite stemmy (not bushy at all). Is this a nitrogen problem that can be fixes with a good dose of miracle grow?

• Just to add that all plants are fruiting really well.
  • MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

Tomato food would be better as Miraclegro has a different balance of nutrients.  The potted plants have a limited root space so need more feeding and watering than those in the ground.

• Wow thank you MuddyFork, that sounds like great advice. Really appreciated image
  • Just to add that all plants are fruiting really well.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Most fruiting plants fruit well if they think they are going to (not to put it delicately) die.

If they are over-fed they produce lots and lots of leaves but few fruit. The trick is to find the happy medium.

Saying that, your plants do sound hungry!
  • ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

In addition, you need to be careful using garden soil - even with rotted manure - in containers. It can compact over time with watering. 

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

sorry to crash this thread, my tomato is fruiting ok, but all are still gree, i've removed lowwer leaves and now the next 3 up have gone totally yellow, oops realised i haven't fed for a good couple of weeks..

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

rm, are they in pots or in the ground? Either way, it's highly unlikely the leaves have turned yellow because they haven't been fed for a couple of weeks. You always get yellowing leaves as they season goes on, particularly lower leaves. They're the oldest, they get tired, they can pick up disease. 

The fruit will ripen if you get sufficiently warm temps.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

thanksitalophile, in pots, we are in the north and plants in sunny corner, my friend has a recipe for green tomato chutney, i'll give her a cal!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Mine aren't changing colour yet - patience Rosemummy - patience image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.