London (change)
Today 21°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
3 messages
07/08/2013 at 21:43

I don't get down to my allotment as often as I would like and recently have been dealing with other problems like lifting and replanting Plum trees in raised beds (it's by a pond and too moist for them so it's do or die). Today I noticed Codling Moth holes in my Cooking Apples. I've destroyed the infected apples, picked those that were a decent size (a few weeks too early I know) and left those that aren't big enough. I know I should have set up traps in Spring and sprayed in June if need be but didn't. Is there any point in spraying this late? I'm wondering if the exceptionally dry summer here (Kent) might mean conventional wisdom goes out the window?

07/08/2013 at 21:55

Hello Paul

The moths are on the wing now and will be until the autumn. They also go for pears, quinces and walnuts, so I'm told, so if there are any of those around you may like to treat them too.

07/08/2013 at 22:50

No Pears or Quince but plenty of Apples. If you don't think it would be a case of closing the door after the horse has bolted I'll spray the lot at the first chance I get. Cheers.

email image
3 messages