London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 16°C
3 messages
13/05/2014 at 14:07

I have a lilac that has been struggling this year.  One half healthy, the other half we had to cut down as it was dying back.  There are new branches which are 8ft high, but are just bending over, as they don't seem strong enough to hold up the ends with leaves on.

Should I be pruning it back to make a stronger stem or what should I do ? 

Also this year I only had about 3 flowers on there ?  Would that be because I pruned it back too late last year, ie prob august time ? 

I have also noticed lots of suckers coming up from the base, should I be getting rid of those. 

Thank you again for any help. 

13/05/2014 at 15:47

I had to chop down my old lilac as it caught a virus of sorts(it was well over 40 years old) and a lot in the area were the same.But I do have a lovely new one I grew from  a twig and it is healthy and beautiful.So sadly  you  may have to say good bye to it.When pruning always ensure your sheares  are clean as otherwise you will transfer viruses.

13/05/2014 at 18:11

I'd cut out the dead stuff first. You pruned at the right time last year. Is it a grafted variety? If so remove the suckers or they will out compete the grafted variety. Then give it a good mulch and keep well watered.

email image
3 messages