Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

TREE REMOVAL

Had a large Downy Birch removed this afternoon and the stump has been ground out.   Honey fungus has been present along the root line into the lawn; should I dispose of the sawdust or will it be safe to use it in the surrounding shrubberies?  If it can be used, is it necessary to add any feed/fertiliser?

Thanks as always for your advice.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

bin it, as the fungus could regenerate from the sawdust.

better to be safe than sorry

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'm pretty easy about diseases but I think I wouldn't do that. HF lives on tree roots and I would mulch woody plants with it

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Nut, I think you mean that you wouldn't mulch woody plants with it, don't you? image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

IMHO not worth the gamble. Bin it.

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Yes that's what I meant Doveimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

That's what I thought image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• pinkpeonypinkpeony Posts: 107

Thank you all for your replies - I am concerned now about disposal with the usual garden rubbish; perhaps it should be included with household waste?

Thanks again,

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,496

Definitely get rid of it. I have HF on my privet hedge. 3 yrs ago I dug up and destroyed a large section of it, also dug up the soil and disposed of this also. Replanted new privet which was growing beautifully until signs of HF started reoccurring last year.

• pinkpeonypinkpeony Posts: 107

Started early this morning digging out the sawdust and putting into black bags, have phoned local council to ask if they can dispose as I guess there will be 20 or so bags; back already aching!   Have to fix the fence panel, too   

Lead Farmer - I'm concerned now about the problem recurring; the lawn is already a mess where the fungus followed the tree root, the stump has been removed but the root remains beneath the lawn.

Thanks again, everyone.