Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Trench of compost

I used some used compost from this years pots to fill a trench 10 foot by 1 foot deep and 8 inch wide , I was wondering how long would it take to turn into soil .

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I don’t think it will turn into soil, it will always be compost out of the pots, what it will do though, if you dig it in with the surrounding soil will improve the texture and with a bit of bone meal or chicken pellets, will be ready for growing something in next Spring. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• The trench was dug in the middle of my lawn soil on either side .

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

Soil is made up of all sorts of stuff. There is decomposed organic material, bits of sand and stones, trace elements, minerals, and so on. Your compost will mix in with all of this and help to improve its structure so it won't change in itself, just become incorporated.

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

I have know peoplie dig a similar trench and put a 6 inch deep layer of partially composted material plus chicken manure and plant oinons etc on top..With great success..

I am thinking of doing this in the spring..

Last edited: 18 November 2017 23:18:19

I do the same BLT (or at least I did until I found it made no difference) in the runner bean trench, but the OP is asking about putting spent compost from his pot plants in there, that’s not the same as home made compost which as you say is a bit of everything left to rot down together. 

There will be no nutrition of any kind in old compost from pots, it will improve soil structure but not feed it. 

I understand,I use spent potting compost to earth up my potatoes.. Which I grow in large tubs. I discard the top part and refill the top 8 inches or so then replanting new potatoes in spring.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Out of curiosity : what are you wanting to do with the trench? Your intentions will help us better offer any advice .

Good question Clari, if you just want to fill the trench and grass it over, it will show a chanel because it will sink, you’ll have to pack it very well for it to not show on a lawn. 

• I agree interesting thread. I think that if this is a 1ft thick layer of spent compost it will not incorporate very well if at all. My reason for thinking this is I notice when I grow plants in pots or plugs, especially annual veg plants when they are finished & I dig the ground in Autumn or winter the "Plug" is still evident & largely intact, (the roots of the plant grow out freely).  By all means use the spent material but dig it into the soil & mix well or it will stay as it is from a structural point of view. 

AB Still learning

This thread is indeed interesting.. I have a suggestion/ query..How about revitalising this spent compost by the addition of Grow more granules or even Miracle gro crystals??? What do you think, possible or a waste?

Last edited: 22 November 2017 21:25:20