Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tuberous Begonia Help Needed

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I am looking for some advice regarding some tuberous begonias. I'm not sure which variety they are as I picked up a mixed bag at my local garden centre. I planted them up at the end of February indoors and they were doing really well until recently.

I have just potted them on into potting soil amended with multi purpoes compost and vermiculite about a week ago.They are currently growing in my back porch which gets plenty morning sunlight and afternoon shade. A couple of days ago a leaf started going really soft and rubbery only round the edges eventually turning brown. One of the other plants is now starting with the same issue. 

I can't see any other signs of disease or any bugs on the plants so I'm not sure what's going wrong or how to sort it. I was hoping someone on here might have a idea on what the problem might be and what I could try to sort it out before it affects all the other plants. 

Last edited: 23 April 2017 22:18:20

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

Hi clinton and welcome. Is there any heating in your porch? The reason I ask is that you mention lots of sun in the morning, which means the begonias will get nice and warm, but our nights have been quite chilly in some areas of the country (I don't know where you are situated) and the contrast between the day and evening temperatures can be enough to cause this.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Did you plant them with the tuber just sitting on top of the compost, then they are best watered from the bottom, the corm  likes to stay dry.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks for the responses guys. The porch is unheated so I've been bringing them into house on a evening when the temperature is forecast to drop pretty low. Like below 5c so maybe it could still be too cold for them in there on a night.

The tubers are covered with about 1/4 inch of soil and when I potted them on I kept them at this depth and watered them in pretty thoroughly and since only watered when the surface starts drying out cause I do worry about then starting to rot. 

Would it be best to remove the foliage that was been affected straight away ?