London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
21 to 26 of 26 messages
06/09/2013 at 14:48

Yes, it's true that nature is red in tooth and claw. I have had the distress of watching a good friend die of anaphylactic shock after a bee sting. He was only 21. But I still love bees.

06/09/2013 at 14:59

But I don't love rats!

06/09/2013 at 15:02

I don't think I'd particularly like wild ones, Welshonion, but I have a friend with pet ones and they are surprisingly cute.

06/09/2013 at 18:41

Guys - thanks for all the advice - I have to say that I don't have the stomach for killing things ( especially not with a gun- what?? ) so I think pest control is the way to go. I haven't seen him since so I'm hoping that the overgrown garden next door will lure him back when he finds no sustenance in my garden! 

I agree that things need to be taken in perspective and I'm trying to be sensible - its a garden after all and I do want wildlife to be welcome - but just not rats, especially as it means I can't feed the birds like I used to!!! Am I a bad person?

07/09/2013 at 00:23

My suggestion of shooting was only to make the point that trapping is fine so long as you know what you are going to do next. 

I appreciate that use of a gun - quite normal in a rural setting - is not suitable for other places.

But when you say you have no stomach for killing things, what exactly do you think pest control are going to do?

07/09/2013 at 08:33

That is one of the (many) reasons I became a vegetarian. I reckoned that if I couldn't kill the lamb, pig or cow myself it was unreasonable of me to expect someone else to do it for me just so that I could enjoy eating the thing.

I understand that rats are part of the everyday diet in several parts of the world. Ratburger, anyone?

email image
21 to 26 of 26 messages