London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
7 messages
24/06/2014 at 00:42

I've used mushroom compost as a mulch on a brassica bed on the allotment. I'm given to understand lime is added to the compost to stop mushrooms growing so it seemed like a good plan to use as a mulch to stop weeds from growing and ideal for brassica's.

The red cabbage has bolted but me thinks it was due to it being planted to early plus the soil may have been to rich in lime. I've now dug in the compost and plan to grow brussels and kale in the bed...to cut to the chase there is a problem with nightmares tail on my plot.

I didn't want to start another nightmares tail thread but a poster had advised nightmares tail doesn't grow well in limed soil and I've found it hasn't grown at all in that bed. 

Has anyone else found nightmares tail alias horse or mares tail doesn't grow in limed soil?     

24/06/2014 at 07:54
Sorry, thats one of the few weeds i dont have , good to know tho
24/06/2014 at 09:26
We have horsetail too - like the idea of calling it nightmares tail : ) Although not a major problem as long as we keep on top of it.

Have had a scan round the internet previously about whether liming helps and there doesn't seem to be a consensus. Some say it does, some say it doesn't. Maybe you should try another bed and see if it has any effect, would be interested to hear how you get on.

Our neighbour still has it coming through and he uses lime as grows a lot of brassicas, but it isn't rampant.
24/06/2014 at 21:21

Another poster referred to it as nightmares tail on a previous thread, which I liked too

I double dug a bed in April with mushroom compost, covered the bed with a  weed membrane, then planted strawberries and autumn raspberry canes through it. The only weeds which have come through the holes have been bindweed and annuals. Strawberries are romping away but the raspberries died...

Was thinking of doing the same after the onions and shallots are harvested but probably won't know until next year if it works...

25/06/2014 at 07:33

Raspberries prefer a slightly acidic soil so that'll be why they didn't like it there 

25/06/2014 at 08:02

Have used plenty of mushroom compost......get lorry load at a time and will prob get some this autumn.

Never had a problem with any weeds and I think less chemicals are used now, if any, a high lime content sometimes affects lupins but Epsom salts addresses this.  Yes, raspberries won't like mushroom compost either.  Obviously, never use near ericaceous plants.

Hellebores love it. 

I apply several inches thick on bare veg patch in autumn to rake in in early spring and as a mulch, again in autumn and winter and during any planting. I tend now to use every 3 years

25/06/2014 at 21:36

I wasn't too upset about the raspberries, after they were planted I realised they were in the wrong spot - right across the middle of the plot  so it was possibly a blessing in disguise..

I've used mushroom compost in the back garden alot and it's relatively cheap if home made compost runs out. It was put around currant bushes a couple of years ago and I've had a bumper crop two years running. 

email image
7 messages