Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Using mushroom compost...

I've used mushroom compost as a mulch on a brassica bed on the allotment. I'm given to understand lime is added to the compost to stop mushrooms growing so it seemed like a good plan to use as a mulch to stop weeds from growing and ideal for brassica's.

The red cabbage has bolted but me thinks it was due to it being planted to early plus the soil may have been to rich in lime. I've now dug in the compost and plan to grow brussels and kale in the bed...to cut to the chase there is a problem with nightmares tail on my plot.

I didn't want to start another nightmares tail thread but a poster had advised nightmares tail doesn't grow well in limed soil and I've found it hasn't grown at all in that bed. 

Has anyone else found nightmares tail alias horse or mares tail doesn't grow in limed soil?     

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Sorry, thats one of the few weeds i dont have image, good to know tho image
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Another poster referred to it as nightmares tail on a previous thread, which I liked tooimage

I double dug a bed in April with mushroom compost, covered the bed with a  weed membrane, then planted strawberries and autumn raspberry canes through it. The only weeds which have come through the holes have been bindweed and annuals. Strawberries are romping away but the raspberries died...image

Was thinking of doing the same after the onions and shallots are harvested but probably won't know until next year if it works...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Raspberries prefer a slightly acidic soil so that'll be why they didn't like it there image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I wasn't too upset about the raspberries, after they were planted I realised they were in the wrong spot - right across the middle of the plot image so it was possibly a blessing in disguise..

I've used mushroom compost in the back garden alot and it's relatively cheap if home made compost runs out. It was put around currant bushes a couple of years ago and I've had a bumper crop two years running. 

• Oh dear it would seem iv made a boob, i cut my autumn raspberries to the deck and mulched over winter with mushroom compost but the white red and black currants are in the same  bed so fingers crossed for those, any tips for the so far dormant raspberries? these bed's were only planted last year? 

Hi, Ally kay,

It's been a massive learning curve for me since posting the first time in June 2014. I've another plot now, much bigger and the top bit was over run with raspberries on the new plot. These were cut back in October and the plan is to dig them all up, I've already dug up a big area and plan to replant some runners.

I'd advise you posted again and started a new thread, starting off ' I cut my raspberries down and mulched over winter....that way more posters are likely to respond...      

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

Hi Ally - I'd wait a few weeks before doing anything too drastic. I also made the mistake of using mushroom compost to improve the soil in an area earmarked for raspberries. I used A LOT because the existing soil was on the site of a huge old conifer and the soil was really poor & depleted.

Anyways - long story short - my raspberries grew strong, well and healthy and highly productive. Maybe the conifer had made the underlying soil acidic and I ended up with a neutral mix, maybe the compost didn't have too much lime in it - I don't know - but I would wait to see whether or not your raspberries start shooting away quite happily before doing anything too drastic.

It's probably worth making sure the compost is pulled away from the stubs of the stems though. Good luck image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down