London (change)
Thu 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
8 messages
08/05/2012 at 20:53
08/05/2012 at 21:45

If any hole that you dig fills with water it suggests that your garden is very low. If that is the case then you can't really condition the soil to help matters, but need to raise it.

08/05/2012 at 22:12
Is that all of the time or just after rain? If its drainage after rain then digging in a load of compost and grit or sharp sand apparently helps. I'm trying this myself as I have quite heavy clay soil that floods when the wet stuff gets heavy.
08/05/2012 at 22:17

Check it's not a burst pipe or drainage overflow  It sounds rather extreme!

08/05/2012 at 22:45

Even with the heavy rain the only areas that flooded in my garden are areas on the lawn with heavy compaction. I suggest that you need to fork over the area to help drainage and as others have said add some grit and compost to help it. A raised bed will also help. if all else fails try bog plants!

08/05/2012 at 23:15

i have wet heavy clay soil, i found if i dug 2 ft i hit grey clay ( which by the way burns into terracotta if moulded and thrown on an ordinary fire)...I dug about 3 feet down and had to mix my soil with 50% sand/grit...this has done the trick in the worked areas of my garden. Might be worth digging deeper and seeing if you have clay underlay which is retaining the water and will rot bulbs and other roots...hard work but if you make the effort it will be worth it

11/05/2012 at 20:31
Evelyn2 wrote (see)

grey clay ( which by the way burns into terracotta if moulded and thrown on an ordinary fire)...

Great - did not know that. I have some of the grey-lbue stuff in my garden. It does kind of mix with compost but still is rubbish to work with so I have been digging it out. I might try and make terracotta pots out of it, make it work for me!

12/05/2012 at 08:19

If your border is wet all year. Why fight it, There are some very attractive bog plants available. I have an area that is the soakaway from neighbours septic tanks. I decided to go with it. I now have a boggery, that is full of colour from early spring to late autumn.

email image
8 messages