Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Weeds in gravel garden

Hello all. First post and as it says I am a real numpty in the garden and would like to help please image

How to you keep your gravel areas free of weeds? I've been having a constant war with mine all year and it's now got to a stage where they are winnng. 

Any advice/products to use most welcome or point me in the direction of threads already created

Thank you 

• Verdun might disagree with this, but we have membrane under ours. (He doesn't like membrane much). Our gravel isn't a garden, though, and I suppose you'd have to start again to plant a gravel garden through membrane. I find, even with membrane, certain plants like the growing conditions and I have Welsh poppies and a couple of other things still managing to grow there. I suppose a certain amount of soil from the borders tends to get spilt there and the mix of soil and stones really suits some plants.

Not much of an answer - more of a meander!

• del 12del 12 Posts: 21

hi there is a couple of ways you can spray them off then wait for them to died shovel or rake the gravel back about 2 meter wide to soil and then lay a farbic call landscape farbic down get the thicker one for driveways rake the gravel back but not to thick or the weeds will root on the frabic and in the gravel again if you cant rake the gravel back just put the frabic down over the top and put new gravel down so that it is just covering the black

• Thank you for your replies - 

I have tried the old "dig 'em out and as I do end up with holes where they've really rooted so would explain when I'm getting more of them.

I inherited this garden with the house and having checked there isn't any membrane under the gravel at all.

So off to the shops for weedkiller it is, get myself a rake  and let's get this war started

I appreaciate you all popping in and letting me know your throughts

Thanks everyone

• Ging2Ging2 Posts: 44

Weve tried membrane, no membrane. As gardening Grandma say lots of plants love gravel and self seed.  Poppies forget-me-nots even snowdrops seem to appear in our gravel areas.  Those I sit back and enjoy as for those pesky weeds its a round up job in full sun. 

Sorry no easy answer

Enjoy your gardening

• Thanks Ging2 - I will try and enjoy it. And get myslef some Round Up - thanks for the tip of putting in on in full sun . It may be a long wait for some of that image

• Thanks Verdun - I shall hold back with the raking - it seems I have "eternal weeds" as well as perennial image

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

The weed prove how good gravel is at germinating seeds! The trapped heat and moisture is perfect. Good when it happens to wanted plants, not so good when it is weeds.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Our wide gravel edge to the path is now a glorious addition the flower beds, with astantia, hellebores, anemones, ble scilla etc., and all for nothing.