Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Where do you keep your tender plants?

My mini greenhouse (metal shelves, plastic cover) seems to get too cold - it went down to -1.1 when we had frost recently.  I've been bringing them inside but it is a faff and I want to start off more seeds.

Is the temperature the problem or is it frost that kills them off?  Will a fleece cover keep the greenhouse above zero?

Thanks for any info.

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Over winter you can wrap the pots in bubble wrap or put some polystyrene between them. I changed last year from the type you have to a polycarbonate ( brain not working and that doesn't sound right, but the rigid plastic), I also put fleece over the plants at night. We have patio glass doors in the garage so I used to put the old type in there as we got enough light in the daytime. Id not use a mini GH heater in the soft plastic one.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

You need heat in a GH to keep tender plants. The temperature inside is the same as outside at night and not much different on dull days.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

I keep mine inside if they are tender. I have only a mini greenhouse and cold frame. I sow only a limited number of trays of tender plants. You can get away with putting more hardy plants in mini greenhouse (sweet peas, young pansies, I even find carnations do ok).

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Ah, good point nut, im thinking more about temperamental half hardy than truly tender.