London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
5 messages
29/03/2014 at 21:19

My mini greenhouse (metal shelves, plastic cover) seems to get too cold - it went down to -1.1 when we had frost recently.  I've been bringing them inside but it is a faff and I want to start off more seeds.

Is the temperature the problem or is it frost that kills them off?  Will a fleece cover keep the greenhouse above zero?

Thanks for any info.

29/03/2014 at 21:53
Over winter you can wrap the pots in bubble wrap or put some polystyrene between them. I changed last year from the type you have to a polycarbonate ( brain not working and that doesn't sound right, but the rigid plastic), I also put fleece over the plants at night. We have patio glass doors in the garage so I used to put the old type in there as we got enough light in the daytime. Id not use a mini GH heater in the soft plastic one.
29/03/2014 at 22:00

You need heat in a GH to keep tender plants. The temperature inside is the same as outside at night and not much different on dull days.

29/03/2014 at 22:01

I keep mine inside if they are tender. I have only a mini greenhouse and cold frame. I sow only a limited number of trays of tender plants. You can get away with putting more hardy plants in mini greenhouse (sweet peas, young pansies, I even find carnations do ok).

29/03/2014 at 22:10
Ah, good point nut, im thinking more about temperamental half hardy than truly tender.
email image
5 messages