London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
61 to 71 of 71 messages
13/07/2013 at 15:11

I spotted a few ladybirds the other day and have spotted a lot more ladybird larvae in the garden since this thread

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27365.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

Here is one from the train station where I help out with the garden on the yellow bin

I also had one the same colour as the picture above hatch in the garden

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27366.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

This is one on in my garden only hatched that day so spots are new and not very clear

14/07/2013 at 00:00

Not a ladybird, but I thought you might like to see the pictures I took of a visitor in my conservatory yesterday. I managed to pick him up and pop him into the garden before he hopped further into the house!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27405.jpg?width=247&height=350&mode=max

I've seen a few ladybirds too, as well as those beautifully metallic ladybird sized beetles that frequent my lavender - they are quite destructive to lavender, but there aren't too many and the lavender bush is huge, so I just let them get on with it! They're really stunning beetles.

And to illustrate the joy of letting nature take her course...my garden is a feeding ground for bats every night and this evening I finally managed to get a photo of one that wasn't just a fuzzy blur!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27407.jpg?width=259&height=350&mode=max

Wildlife gardening - hooray!

14/07/2013 at 06:49

Likewise no ladybirds, (as an aside very little of larva or caterpillars) have used a natural soap that comes in the form of flakes diluted two fist full to 2.2 Lts water, sprayed on when black fly first seen twice a week .

14/07/2013 at 11:54

Wow some very good pics I have bees in my garden I am intereted in finding a way to encourage or re introduce ladybirds with my veg there is mint stingers buddliea and honey suckle so i try for an nature friendly garden

14/07/2013 at 12:27

I have seen ONE lady bird this Summer. I believe it was a european species

(on a positive and simular note, seen a lot more bumble bees that normal, and in many varieties, but only about 3 honey bees. I'm keeping a small area of uncut grass in the garden to ecourage creatures.)

15/07/2013 at 13:39

I live in North Nottinghamshire, and like a lot of other people havent seen one ladybird either. We have plenty of butterflies, bumble bees that are nesting in a blue tit box, which is fascinating to watch, and must be extremely hot inside the box because they come and sit out on the outside.

Haven't seen a hedgehog for a while, and as for slugs and snails, not one recently as its too dry everywhere.

29/09/2013 at 21:29

I have hardly seen a ladybird, all year. Now I have at least 30, 7 spotted ones on a dandilion plant. Can anyone tell me why would they be there. They have been there for a week, thaat I have noticed.

29/09/2013 at 22:48

No ladybirds seen here in my garden near Newquay, Cornwall.  But then I've only just built the garden and the other new houses mostly don't have gardens - just 'Builders Lawns'.  But there again I've never lived near the coast before... perhaps they don't like the 'seaside'?

29/09/2013 at 23:30

its probably the harlequin ladybirds killing off the natives. One got inside last week

30/09/2013 at 11:00

Had lots of larve but most of ladybird hatched and have gone only seen 1 or 2 in the garden

Lots of ladybirds up the train station garden were I volunteer they all like the yellow grit bin - maybe need something that bright in the garden to attract them in

30/09/2013 at 11:48

I'm up in the middle of Lancs and they've been a bit shy this year in our garden, I'd not seen any until early August. Although we don't seem to have had a lot of aphids either. But that said we seem to have a pretty good balance of preditors / prey.

Last week I found where they had all been hiding, there where loads in the flowerheads of my sunflowers, I only noticed because I was cutting the heads to save them for the birds.... they've all been rehoused to my greenhouse now where hopefully they'll find a quiet corner to hibinate and emerge in the spring to do their job!

There also seem to be a load in the beds under the leaf litter so I guess they must have been there all along!

email image
61 to 71 of 71 messages