London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
61 to 73 of 73 messages
08/07/2013 at 11:10

In Peterborough I masses of ladybird larvae, although their parents have been elusive. Both greenfly and blackfly populations have exploded, and on most I've also found ladybird larvae feeding, particularly on teh golden hop and apple tree. I also found a hoverfly larvae feeding too.

Some blackfly on my dwarf dahlias are being spread and protected by ants. You'll often find ants among aphids, as they 'milk' teh aphids for the sugary honeydew (sap) they exude, while keeping predators like ladybirds away.

08/07/2013 at 15:51

Thanks for tip re nasty blue slug/snail pellets - will put them under a bit of pottery to keep them away from birdies.  Killed 30 - yes! 30! huge slugs the other night and approx 10 snails - yuck!  Slugs really give me the creeps!  xx

13/07/2013 at 15:11

I spotted a few ladybirds the other day and have spotted a lot more ladybird larvae in the garden since this thread

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27365.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

Here is one from the train station where I help out with the garden on the yellow bin

I also had one the same colour as the picture above hatch in the garden

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27366.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

This is one on in my garden only hatched that day so spots are new and not very clear

14/07/2013 at 00:00

Not a ladybird, but I thought you might like to see the pictures I took of a visitor in my conservatory yesterday. I managed to pick him up and pop him into the garden before he hopped further into the house!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27405.jpg?width=247&height=350&mode=max

I've seen a few ladybirds too, as well as those beautifully metallic ladybird sized beetles that frequent my lavender - they are quite destructive to lavender, but there aren't too many and the lavender bush is huge, so I just let them get on with it! They're really stunning beetles.

And to illustrate the joy of letting nature take her course...my garden is a feeding ground for bats every night and this evening I finally managed to get a photo of one that wasn't just a fuzzy blur!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27407.jpg?width=259&height=350&mode=max

Wildlife gardening - hooray!

14/07/2013 at 06:49

Likewise no ladybirds, (as an aside very little of larva or caterpillars) have used a natural soap that comes in the form of flakes diluted two fist full to 2.2 Lts water, sprayed on when black fly first seen twice a week .

14/07/2013 at 11:54

Wow some very good pics I have bees in my garden I am intereted in finding a way to encourage or re introduce ladybirds with my veg there is mint stingers buddliea and honey suckle so i try for an nature friendly garden

14/07/2013 at 12:27

I have seen ONE lady bird this Summer. I believe it was a european species

(on a positive and simular note, seen a lot more bumble bees that normal, and in many varieties, but only about 3 honey bees. I'm keeping a small area of uncut grass in the garden to ecourage creatures.)

15/07/2013 at 13:39

I live in North Nottinghamshire, and like a lot of other people havent seen one ladybird either. We have plenty of butterflies, bumble bees that are nesting in a blue tit box, which is fascinating to watch, and must be extremely hot inside the box because they come and sit out on the outside.

Haven't seen a hedgehog for a while, and as for slugs and snails, not one recently as its too dry everywhere.

29/09/2013 at 21:29

I have hardly seen a ladybird, all year. Now I have at least 30, 7 spotted ones on a dandilion plant. Can anyone tell me why would they be there. They have been there for a week, thaat I have noticed.

29/09/2013 at 22:48

No ladybirds seen here in my garden near Newquay, Cornwall.  But then I've only just built the garden and the other new houses mostly don't have gardens - just 'Builders Lawns'.  But there again I've never lived near the coast before... perhaps they don't like the 'seaside'?

29/09/2013 at 23:30

its probably the harlequin ladybirds killing off the natives. One got inside last week

30/09/2013 at 11:00

Had lots of larve but most of ladybird hatched and have gone only seen 1 or 2 in the garden

Lots of ladybirds up the train station garden were I volunteer they all like the yellow grit bin - maybe need something that bright in the garden to attract them in

30/09/2013 at 11:48

I'm up in the middle of Lancs and they've been a bit shy this year in our garden, I'd not seen any until early August. Although we don't seem to have had a lot of aphids either. But that said we seem to have a pretty good balance of preditors / prey.

Last week I found where they had all been hiding, there where loads in the flowerheads of my sunflowers, I only noticed because I was cutting the heads to save them for the birds.... they've all been rehoused to my greenhouse now where hopefully they'll find a quiet corner to hibinate and emerge in the spring to do their job!

There also seem to be a load in the beds under the leaf litter so I guess they must have been there all along!

email image
61 to 73 of 73 messages