London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
13 messages
03/04/2012 at 16:06

We would like to plant an attractive tree in our small garden. The area we anticipated using to plant it, gets quite water logged during periods of heavy rain but dries out when weather is dry. Can you suggest some trees that might be suitable. The area has partial shade.

We also have a lot of wood lice in the garden. Any suggestions on how to control these?

Thank you

New Gardener.

14/09/2014 at 21:08

willows like wet areas contorted willow does well in my garden, and it can get very wet when it rains.cuttings root very easily. willows in general like it moist

14/09/2014 at 21:16

Woodlice are harmless, they don't need controlling

14/09/2014 at 22:46

Agree with Nut about woodlice.  Interesting little creatures, only eat dead stuff.

Beware planting a willow near your drains!  Dogwood (the sort with coloured bark) would tolerate the wet/dry situation you describe, but is of course a shrub not a tree...

14/09/2014 at 23:21

I would go with Dogwood over a Willow for anything but a large garden.

15/09/2014 at 07:13
wedding cake tree - cornus controversa variegata. Beautiful but prefers well drained soil.
Amelanchier, again beautiful and might fit your needs better.
Liquidambar gorgeous autumn colour.
Sambucus nigra and some sorbus are ok with wet soil.
sorry, not sure about evergreens.
You say your garden is small so id steer clear of the willow.
15/09/2014 at 11:07

Mrs G, some lovely suggestions but I'd be worried about the standing water problem, cos very few trees/shrubs can really cope with it, and most of the ones which can (willow, alder, swamp cypress) aren't appropriate for a small garden.  Liquidambar is gorgeous & would prob be ok but grows huge...

How about planting a tree on an artificial mound?  My daughter wanted to grow a crab apple, but her clay soil has standing water from time to time, so I constructed a mound about 3ft diameter, 10" higher than surrounding soil in the middle, of soil, organic matter and gravel, and planted the tree in that, having broken up the soil below the mound over quite a wide area & dug in more gravel & compost.  (It needed a good stake because of being on a "hill".)  So far, so good, 2 and a half years after planting... 

15/09/2014 at 11:21

Crataegus are very tough and can withstand limited periods of water logging and there are some quite ornamental varieties and species which are not too big: Crataegus x prunifolia, C,oxycanthoides Paul's Scarlet for instance. If the area is waterlogged for whole winter period then these would not be suitable. 

15/09/2014 at 11:53

Woodlice are our friends.

15/09/2014 at 19:01
Another point to think about is if its in a windy site- trees, water logging and wind spells trouble somewhere down the line...
Enjoy choosing and let us know how you get on.
15/09/2014 at 22:42

all good points. i hope your choice does well for you "happy gardening"

16/09/2014 at 13:15

We had a liquidamber and it grew almost as high and wide  as Mount Everest!   

19/09/2014 at 23:16
I used to live in Essex where clay soil meant soggy conditions in the winter and cracked concrete soil in the summer. I tried the mound style of planting so trees were sitting almost atop the soil and it encouraged the roots to grow firmly into the ground,resulting in happier plants!
email image
13 messages