London (change)
Today 24°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
8 messages
31/05/2012 at 12:49

I have TRILLIONS of tiny white thread-like things in one of my dalek compost bins, all round the rim and now in quite a think layer on the compast itself.  It's the bin that's being topped up rather than the one that's cooking.  I've had them before but nowhere near as bad and I'm worried that the compost won't be usable if I don't do something to get rid of them.

I garden organically but any help on what they are and whether/how to get rid of them will be much appreciated

31/05/2012 at 13:00

Are they white fly?-if you dont want to use a chemical and it is as bad as you say-boiling water-not nice-but......................or use an organic spray

killer-spray-75http://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/spray-organic-ready-use-insect-0ml-p-18032.html?utm_campaign=googlebase&utm_medium=comparisonengine&utm_source=google

31/05/2012 at 13:17

They don't have wings so ulness they're another stage in the white fly life cycle I don't think so - and they've been in the same state for months.

I do have white fly on my lupins (which the sparrows are enjoying immensly ) so maybe they are connected.  I've also had them on certain seedlings in the greenhouse and they make the leaves curl up and the plant stunted - I picked the top surface off and some have recovered enough to plant out - but I definitely didn't use old compost anywhere near them.

Will try the boiling water idea to start with and disinfect the bin when I turn the compost

31/05/2012 at 13:31
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9575-tiny-white-worms-compost-bin.html

Maybe they're not whitefly.
31/05/2012 at 13:54

Hmm food for thought - his description seems to match but others refer more to the worm aspect and these aren't.  If they're benign they can't be the same as the ones on my seedlings and other plants - better look at them a bit closer!

I tried an organic psray before and it didn't seem to do much good - they haven't got wings so anything that works by stopping them flying isn't any use.

31/05/2012 at 14:26

HyppyByker, I'm in the same boat - exactly the same, and I garden organically too- the one difference is that I have used the compost - I just thought 'what the hell' and I've loads of ladybirds, although I haven't seen any lacewings yet, just thought they would have a feast.    I have two greenhouses, one heated and one not...I used the compost (mixed with leafmould and shreddings - both well composted) and there doesn't seem to be any problem in the unheated greenhouse, but I do have lots of greenfly (no whitefly) in the heated greenhouse, but I overwintered plants in there so I presume, the greenfly overwintered too.  Watch out using boiling water or you'll kill off the goodies in the compost bin too.  All those worms, slugs, woodlice and the trillions of good microscopic bodies that all help make the compost smell sooooo sweet and sooooo good in comparison with that we buy.

31/05/2012 at 14:40

A fellow sufferer - yay!  On your experience I won't do anything other than clear away what i can when I turn the compost and let nature do the rest.  That's always my default position but it's nice to have it confirmed   Thanx Jumbo

31/05/2012 at 15:05

You are very welcome - I just hope it works for you, pls don't blame me if it doesn't.  I didn't even turf off what I could see I just carried on as I said.  All's well at the moment...I have sunflowers, tomatoes (in flower), cucumbers, plus stacks of cuttings and all the overwintered plants, plus we have cropped cut and cum again lettuce etc etc.  Happy composting.  Did you notice lots of ants in the bin last year...I reckon they may be something to do with these white bits, but the jury is out on that.

email image
8 messages