London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 5°C
21 to 27 of 27 messages
21/06/2013 at 16:30

I have been very lucky with the Hostas and Solomons Seal in my "woodland" garden, they are untouched by the slimey brigade, its either because we have a shed nearby where a hedgehog family live, or it might be that when we had our trees lopped, we spread the wood shavings out along the path and they dont like to go over it. 

21/06/2013 at 20:35

Apart from the wild garlic, English/Irish sorrel and posibly Mint could grow and even Chervil, as I am discovering that it does not like part sun.

21/06/2013 at 21:26

If your looking for shrubs I grow Mahonia successfully along with Japanese anemone, Comphrey and Hydrangea's in my shaded area. I have to keep watering well as its beneath a big Mountain Ash Whitebeam tree. I get a little sunshine early morning but most of the day its in shade.

22/06/2013 at 00:04

I ditto a lot of what has already been said as I am a strong fern and dicentra lover, but no-ones mentioned sarcococca hookeriana or the viburnums so I'll throw them into the mix too!  Have fun as I find shade and semi shade the most challenging to get right but the plants really thank you when happy x

22/06/2013 at 09:32

I should have thought of that one AZ, it's one of my best shade shrubs and copes with the dryness of the shade in this garden. 

22/06/2013 at 11:52

Wasabi likes shade! It likes miserable British summer weather too. It needs damp soil though- I grow mine in a poorlydrained pot in the shade. You can eat the leaves as an extra flavour in salads as well as the root- they taste good, but I'm always loath to pick them as I don't want to inhibit root development!

i grew lily-of-the-valley too, as it's supposed to be good for shade, but it's never really thrived. I decided to try out a golden hop though- this is growing well!

24/06/2013 at 13:20

I think one of the most common problems with shade under trees is that the trees will take up most of any moisture there is and so the soil will be very dry. As quite a few plants that tolerate shade seem to enjoy dampness too, keeping the area well mulched to retain moisture will not only benefit any under planting but the trees and wildlife too! If the trees are deciduous then the leaves will have been benefitting the soil but conifers do not! Always prepare the soil first before planting to give as much chance as possible to the survival of the plants. Ferns do really well almost anywhere so how about a fernery!  x

email image
21 to 27 of 27 messages