Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Worms in every plum

Hi

All the plums on my tree seem to have a worm in them.  Looking at the form it suggests using some kind of spray.

Please can you clarify

1 When would be the time to spray the tree.

2 What to spray it with

3 Is this simply putting something around the tree stump / root or do i need to spray every single branch / leaf 

Sorry as you will have noted from my questions above  I am a complete amateur at this so please accept my apologies.

Any help would be great.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

It's almost certainly plum moth.  Although you can't save this year's crop, now you know the culprit you can take action early next year.  Put up some pheromone traps and as soon as you start to see the right number of male plum moths caught on the sticky paper inside (the traps come with instructions), you can spray against the caterpillars before they burrow into the fruit.  See the RHS advice on dealing with this:

http://rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=554

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Bob when you copy a wed address and paste wot do you do to make it go black and underlined so people can use it without copying it again mine dont do it at the moment, 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Hi Alan, after pasting a link, hit the Return/Enter key - this then activates it so it becomes clickable.  Not obvious but easy once you know. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.