Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Yellow leaves - help!!

I have a Sorbus aria which is around 3 yrs old and the leaves in the centre of the tree are all going yellow/brown and falling off - see pic. The tree is in quite a shady area although it does get Sun most of the day. I also have yellowing leaves on some of my other plants nearby - a solanum and honeysuckle.

Do you think this is a soil problem - is very alkaline when I tested it? If not, any ideas what could be the cause?

• Abby2Abby2 Posts: 101

Bump image

Can anyone help - please? 

I'm really concerned about the tree as many of the leaves are now yellowing image

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

Are you watering it? I would suggest it is shedding leaves due to the currrent weather conditions.

• addictaddict Posts: 659

Just the centre of the tree? A particular stem? New growth old growth? Any sign of damage to branches affected? Any sign of fungus at base? Sorbus are prone to fireblight but not much else. Your photo is not fireblight. Any chance of a picture of the whole tree? 

Thanks.. appreciate your replies! Yes am watering it and has been fed fortnightly. Am very relieved you think not fireblight though as as this was my main worry and I had thought the pyracantha next to it was showing signs last year. There is no sign of oozing or weeping on branches and no fungus that I can see.

Will try to get pic of whole tree tomorrow but is mainly the lower middle section - new growth is currently fine.

• addictaddict Posts: 659

You are welcome image Fireblight on leaves looks just like it sounds....like someone has waved a blow torch over the leaves and they go brown and crispy. Definitely not yellow!