Today 15°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 7°C
9 messages
27/09/2012 at 17:58

does any body know how to stop

cats coming into my garden

please help , Thanks Seamus.

27/09/2012 at 18:07

At the top of the page is a search facility that will take you to some discussions on this often repeated topic-here is a recent one

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/cats/5860.html

or get a dog

28/09/2012 at 13:32

Hi at the moment were using a blue gel called keep off its about £5 and you use it on the places they toilet dont try to cover the whole garden, it don,t stop them coming in but tis stopped them using our garden as a regular place and we had many cats doing it when we moved in a few weeks ago,i also place moth balls around the garden at very little expense , i know how much a pain it is having other peoples animals ruining your garden and if you get lots of people telling you how we must get along with all this mess and dont hurt these poor creatures send the cats to them ,good luck Seamus8 PS we had wonderfull golden sloworms in our garden untill the cats used them for play and killed them  Cats keep em

28/09/2012 at 13:40

Cats, foxes and herons can be deterred witha device called a water scarecrow.  It fixes to an outside tap and has a sensor so when the offending critter passes, it gets sprayed and soaked.   They don't like it and go elsewhere.

You need to move the sensors regularly as they learn the trigger points and make sure you don't site it where the postman will get wet.  You can google for models and suppliers.

The other good alternative is a well aimed water pistol but that means you have to be there and constantly vigilant.  

28/09/2012 at 14:06

Do I need to remove the cat mess or can I bury it? Where can I dispose of it?

28/09/2012 at 14:35

I have 2 cats and I remove the mess, I use dog bags from poundland or similar and it goes in the dog bins or wheelie bin. There are health issues with some cats and what they pass so wear gloves and take care. I realise not everyone likes cats but without domestic cats there would just be feral communites and at least domesticated ones are usually healthy, neutered and spend some time indoors unlike the poor feral ones. I have mice and frogs and the cats have the loudest bells possible to warn the birds and my son now feeds them in the morning, they're in all night, so they kill a lot less, in fact since he changed their feeding time I haven't seen either of them catch anything. They don't like wet soil.

30/09/2012 at 10:40

hi,

not tried it myself but have read somewhere (possibly on this site) that old, dried teabags sprayed with a muscle relief spray like deep heat work. placed around where the cats usually toilet, they find it irritates there strong sense of smell. Place them somewhere where they can be covered so the smell lasts longer. 

hope this helps.

01/10/2012 at 13:42
Hi seamus8,

If you go to the problem solviing area of the forum and on page 2 under cats, you will find my question similar to yours with a range of ideas. I particulaly like the fuschia cutting idea as this puts on new growth, apparently.
01/10/2012 at 13:49
dambuster wrote (see)
Hi seamus8,

If you go to the problem solviing area of the forum and on page 2 under cats, you will find my question similar to yours with a range of ideas. I particulaly like the fuschia cutting idea as this puts on new growth, apparently.

or you could just click on the link in the second message-or use the search facility-said he repeating himself

email image
9 messages