London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 5°C
101 to 120 of 163 messages
25/04/2012 at 21:08
But they change that to allow you to just track it.
26/04/2012 at 07:09

I gave you  a solution-just post a blank message-won't that to for now?

26/04/2012 at 18:01
Gold1locks wrote (see)

Figrat, not sure if I can help, but when you click on the green tree just above my message (third icon from the right) you get the following window:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/7005.jpg?width=350

You click 'select' and navigate to the file on your computer, and then click 'upload' . the file needs to be of a certain size in dimensions and bytes - I think 1 mb is the biggest - so you may need to downsize your file. Hope this is not a case of teaching grandma to suck eggs and you already know all this, and have a different problem that I have not helped with!! 

Thanks for that Goldilocks, but the problem was that even with a .jpg file >1mB, I kept getting a message that the file was in the wrong format. At Daniel's suggestion, I've just tried the same procedure with a different browser (I used Safari) and it worked! So maybe an issue with IE8. Who'd work in IT?

26/04/2012 at 18:10

Quite so, figrat. Thanks for the update - those in the know will investigate.

26/04/2012 at 18:16

Just pooching about and went into 'Public Profile' I think the text needs editing a bit!

Tried to copy and paste bits but gots loads of gobbldegook and now I'm off out so can't sort it. Will try later.

26/04/2012 at 18:29

About 15 minutes ago the whole sight went a bit loopy could log in but not access my settings and the format of the topics changed

Seems fine now -so perhaps FloBear you problem has gone away?

26/04/2012 at 18:54

Although I'm finding this site very friendly and easy to use there are a couple of things the dear old beeb got right!

Namely - the newish subscribe/unsubscribe to discussions function. It was the quickest way to follow threads that you were interested in without necessarily having to post something.

In the past the "pinging" and "bumping" when posters added threads to their discussions was irritating and I wouldn't like to see it happening here, especially with e-mail alerts. It would be annoying to get an e-mail to say a new comment had been added only to find out it was just a ping.

Likewise I don't need to see a list of all the posts I've made in my settings, just the thread title + link would be enough.I'd also like to be able to see where my friends and most respected posters were on the site without having to comb every thread.

This is of course all my personal preferences and I wouldn't expect the site to be modified just to please me!

26/04/2012 at 21:10

Having another try at the weird stuff in Public Profile. I've tried to bold/italic the oddities.

Most of the kep profile settings can be found in the My Settings. This is where you can edit your personal information, your location Neighbourhood, your email subscriptions and lots more. Take some time to make sure this is up to date and complete so we can provide you with the best service.

In My Events, you can find the list of things you have saved from the Neighbourhood section. You can also invite your friends to events.

In My Messages, you can access the private messaging system for MadeForMums members. You can also invite your friends to events.

In My Posts, and My Reviews you can see your publishing history around the Forums, Neighbourhood Discussions and user Reviews.

<p class="members-public-profile-text">public profile This page is what other MadeForMums users will see when they click on your screen name. Click here to edit this.

<p class="members-public-profile-text">Hoping that editing it in here and not in OneNote will make it work now.

<p class="members-public-profile-text">I had the same experience as you sotongeoff when the forum went loopy and the formatting of the messageboards disappeared.

<p class="members-public-profile-text">Here's hoping.

26/04/2012 at 21:14

Mmmm. It's better than before but still got extra gobbldegook that I didn't order. That <pclass="members ... .etc wasn't anything to do with me and won't go away even if I re-edit the post.

So that's two things now!

Keep Daniel and co on their toes, eh (-;

27/04/2012 at 07:36

I have found that after copying text from a web site, if I right click and choose 'paste as plain text', I don't get any html code. 

27/04/2012 at 08:51

Brilliant, thanks Gold1locks.

27/04/2012 at 14:47

Reply to toonia: thanks for the feedback. Regarding your comment about following threads, I'm pleased to report that function will be added (it won't be immediately, but in the next couple of months, I'm told).

Reply to FloBear: mmm, that's rather rum, isn't it? That will be dealt with! Thanks for the alert.

Daniel
Editor, gardenersworld.com

27/04/2012 at 14:50

Reply to Swedboy: as per my previous reply to toonia, the technical team have advised that we will be adding the option to follow threads without posting on them. It should be appearing in a couple of months, possibly less.

Daniel

27/04/2012 at 16:22

You guys are sooo impressive! We ex Beebers are just not used to this level of responsiveness / proactivity. 

27/04/2012 at 16:28

Thank you Daniel.

Along with many other people I am so pleased to have a host who answers questions at all, let alone one who says yes!

27/04/2012 at 16:31

Daniel-I am a bit short of money -can you fix it for me to win the lottery-ta

27/04/2012 at 16:37

Daniel, as I mentioned a while back, the  facility to change my settings so that by default I don't get emails after I have posted does not seem to be working. I can see the text for each option but nothing happens when I hover over an option or click it. 

And the option just under this text box - "email me when a response is made" - is also unresponsive. As I am a regular poster I get innundated with emails. I can disable email responses to each individual thread once I have received the first email, by clicking the option at the bottom of the message, but it's a pain.

Is this a general problem or is it just me / my browser (Chrome)? 

27/04/2012 at 17:39

Reply to sotongeoff: I'll cross my fingers, but sadly, that's about as far as my influence extends.

Reply to Gold1locks: I think this is a Chrome issue - we've had a similar problem with a few Chrome users not seeing the radio buttons in our competitions. Are you able to try changing the settings in another browser, such as Firefox, or Safari? We'll certainly look into the Chrome issue, but in the meantime, another browser might a be a quicker solution for you.

Daniel

27/04/2012 at 17:46

Thanks, but I have just ditched Firefox as it had too many freeze ups. I'll stick to Chrome for now. 

27/04/2012 at 17:56

Reply to Daniel: just tried Firefox and the radio buttons are visible. I have changed the default setting. Thanks!

101 to 120 of 163 messages