London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
6 messages
31/01/2013 at 19:27

Hello,

I have several bags of saw dust & wood savings can it be worked into veg patch and used as a mulch in flower borders ?

Regards Sandy

31/01/2013 at 19:34

I mix it in with what comes out of the shredder and it goes straight on the garden.I'd  avoid treated wood and mdf/ chipboard or any of those products

31/01/2013 at 22:25

It's best to mix wood shavings and sawdust with green stuff and compost it before use.  The microbes which break down woody matter need nitrogen to do so and will take it from the soil if you dig it in.  It's OK as a surface mulch to help stop the soil drying out, but I wouldn't dig it directly into to a veg plot.

01/02/2013 at 15:23

Iwould not use saw dust or shavings for a mulch unless it had been standing for a year in  a corner of your garden.New sawdust or and shavings will ruin the soil and you will not grow anything well at all until its gone.How do I know? I did just that and all my flowers and plants suffered and all my plant lets shriveled.It took a year to recover.SO PUT THE SHAVINGS ASIDE.

04/07/2013 at 19:03

Hi,

Many thanks for your obsevation's much appreciated.

04/07/2013 at 19:47

You can use it in autumn.  i do. If not completely assimilated by springtime add sulphate of ammonia ....but just a normal balanced fertiliser will be enough

email image
6 messages