London (change)
Today 15°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 7°C
4 messages
06/02/2012 at 22:00

Working in a SEN school, I am trying to re-devolop a patch of the playground that has been allocated to me and a handful of students.It used to be a large "hump" that acted as support/ladder to a small slide.This has ,obviously,since been removed and the hump levelled to some extent.

So far, we have a large raised bed, materials donated by local builders ,and we try (mainly because we have no funds) to re-cycle materials,use cuttings etc that staff bring in and we also have a few small garden centres that are kind enough to donate.

We really want to make the most of this space,so I would really appreciate any suggestions of things that worked for you. 

Cheers..,Margo'

07/02/2012 at 14:14

You could ask any parents who are keen gardeners to help with ideas or approach local allotmenteers .Where are you based It would be great if you were nearby I would love to come and support you .

08/02/2012 at 21:58

Margo, firstly well done for taking a project such as this on. I'm sure that you already don't have enough hours in the day.

I'm no expert, but to me the hardest part is going to be keeping interest and momentum going. I would imagine that one key element is going to be growing crops which will grow and mature quickly and in bountiful succession. Obvious ones being salad crops.

Herbs could also be very good. Not even so much because of culinery uses, but simply for the smells, both good or bad. Bad creating a laugh or a snigger. Gardening of any kind should incorpate fun. Crops could be planted in shapes and patterns, or even someones name. Depending upon how many students that you have, the beds could be divided up so that students could draw and design their own little patch. Even making labels and giving the plots names could all help to inspire.

Fruit could be a winner, if it doesn't get eaten first!

A summer picnic using the veg grown, could another good one.

Don't just stick to veg, grow a few sun flowers, the taller the better. Anything that inspires the imagination is good, and if the group as a whole could make up a story or two to go with the area, this could then be incorporated into their learning, especially if interest starts to lapse.

10/02/2012 at 07:17

Have you approached anyone form your local argriculturla/ horticultural college?  Their students may be interested in a real-life project and may come up with some wonderful ideas.  I know of a day nursery that has just started down this route and they're all very excited.

And I agree with Eddie J about the sunflowers.  Godd luck.

email image
4 messages