Start a new thread

1 to 12 of 12 replies

My head torch caught sight of a huge slug, about 7 inches on the gravel path so I went back for my camera, only about half a minute later I returned and its body was only 2 inches long but had all its intestines behind it, must have just died.  I wanted to examine it so I scooped it up into a clean dry jar from the recycling .  As it was by then such a mess I put the jar with lid into the rubbish, and forgot about it.

A few days later when reviewing my photos I noticed some turquoise dots on the bottom of the jar, these must have been fragments of slug pellets (being the same colour) excreted.  Rotating the picture it sure looks like some letters amongst the dots......spooky!

Could be " Me Batty.........."  Can't make out the rest.  Perhaps "as hell" ?

Whatever!!!!

A slug's insides are more intricate than you may have thought, this is that huge one on the path:

This year the slugs seem more abundant than usual, maybe because of the amount of rain this summer.

Two years ago I decided to have a purge so from June to late December I went out to get them armed with head torch, knee pads, dibber and trowel, and a bucket of salt.  With a running total each night after 6 months I had killed 24,700.  The garden isn't very big but the small chicken run had its feeder literally covered in them after darkness.

Everyone recommends a different method to deter them but the hens' feeder stood on a bed of crushed oyster shells in the middle of a box lined with copper tape.  They just sailed over everything I put down to keep them off.

I suppose you can't beat nature as they were all back the next year.  Now I just turn a blind eye to them knowing that most will be out of sight in the morning.  Our new veg and fruit cages stopped caterpillars and birds this year but again the slugs did the damage.

Advertisement

Has anyone encountered a slug longer than 7 inches ever?

Steve the Gardening Vet

I suspect that the blue was in fact batch info on the jar.

Slug and other molluscs are hydraulically powered and their insides are under reasonable pressure and yes, they do explode dramatically if they burst!

ANYTHING that one encounters over seven inches is surely always a bonus..?

B3

Salt seems unnecessarily cruel. Why don't you snip them in half with some scissors. The corpses will be gone in the morning.

josusa47
Oldcompost says:

Has anyone encountered a slug longer than 7 inches ever?

See original post

I haven't, but I once thought I might.  I was about six when I first came on holiday to Wales, when it still had a coal industry.  I asked what were the small dome shaped hills we kept passing on the train.  My big brother said they were slag heaps.  I thought he said slug heaps, and dreaded meeting a Welsh slug.

B3:  Yes they do take a few seconds to die in salt but at the time I was in a manic hate campaign against them.  Originally I did snip them but found with so many that the slime quickly clogged up the scissors. Also, that underneath stuff is really hard to remove, walk it onto the carpet and you'll see why.  Once I got it on some suede shoes and nothing removed it.

Steve the Gardening Vet:  The batch info came to mind but as the clean/dried jar originally held liquid that seems unlikely as paint/ink wouldn't work, on the outside of the glass, yes maybe. It's surely too much of a coincidence the the colour matches exactly the colour of the slug pellets.

josusa47:  I met a Welsh slag once (in Rhyl) but that's another story.

Steve the Gardening Vet

I wonder if the (let's be honest, it definitely says batch) text is transfer from a bit of damp paper that was in your recycling bin?

Steve the Gardening Vet:  In Devon the paper and cardboard go into their separate bags.  Also, bright turquoise is almost unique to pellets.

B3:  With a 10ft walled garden I've never seen a hedgehog.  As for the slugs eating their own - I spent over an hour each session clearing every one out.  With sometimes up to 500 snipped corpses (on a good night) to clear there would have to be a lot of shy and hungry other ones waiting for me to leave!