Start a new thread

441 to 460 of 1,474 replies

chicky

Wind has been awful here too Marion - hate wind.  Especially at this time of year when everything is growing so tall.  Fingers crossed it moves on soon.

happymarion

That is what I am hoping, Chicky.  With so many mature trees in my garden it is impossible to work in it in high winds.

Very wet and windy here too in North Staffordshire! Just managed to get my garden looking lovely and tidy-all the plants looking their best......and then twigs and branches everywhere!! Apparently the weather should be drier and warmer at the end of the week. I love the watering cans with the flowers in Marion.

happymarion

Those watering cans belonged to my late father-in-law who died in 1942, Linda.  I have used them to grow flowers in since they sprung a leak.

happymarion

According to the "Countryfile" weather forecast it will be Wednesday before we get good gardening weather but the wind seems silent now so perhaps tomorrow will be better than today.

Advertisement

happymarion

Eerily calm this morning and bright sunshine.  Heavy rain forecast for the afternoon but I have to be at the surgery for my hearing test then anyway.  I will get three shrubs out of their big pots and planted in the new border and use the pots for three more tomato plants.  Lots of tidying up then.  I bet the green wheelie bin will be filled up today with debris.  Forecast is for good weather from Friday onwards so should be able to start arranging my Whitsun celebration in the front garden.

happymarion

Looks like the forecast is accurate.  The clouds are blotting out the sun and it is noticeably colder, but three big shrubs have come out of their pots and into the new border and the pots filled with three of Mr. Fothergills tomatoes we had to grow outside. which have their first flower trusses on.  If it stays dry a bit longer I will put on my gardening coat and sow some more dwarf beans before I leave for the shops and my hearing test - multitasking is very important when time is precious.

happymarion

Oh my goodness, I came home from the hearing test with a hearing aide in both ears and, as I wanted to dive in at the deep end, I took the long way home via the shops and post office.  The beep on the pedestrian crossing sounded so loud and I could hear the postmaster behind his glass screen, but when I reached home and toured my garden, the tears were rolling down my cheeks.  The birds seemed to have sensed something was up.  They were serenading me from every tree. The wind had dropped but I could hear the gentle rustle of the bamboo in my bamboo grove.  I have turned down the TV three times so far and I can hear my footsteps in the house even when I am walking on the carpet.  Exciting times.

happymarion

Better day today so I am excited about hearing the insects buzzing in the garden.  My brain had adjusted very quickly to the initial echo and tinniness you get with a new hearing aid and I treated myself to a film.  It was bliss being able to understand every word as I could hear and did not have to guess what the actors were saying.  First job is three more shrubs to plant and steal their pots for tomatoes.  One quarter of the drive is already lined with tomatoes and I shall start putting half strength tomato food in each watering can now as they all have flower trusses. The purple rhododendron is opening its buds so you shall have a pic of that soon.  It has poached egg plants at its feet so they too should be flowering soon.

happymarion

Black as night out in the garden now and big spots of rain so have come in to get a cup of tea and watch the Chelsea preview with Rachel de Thames.  But I have proved the new hearing aids are no trouble when gardening as I have done a good four hours work without mishap and after the shock of the noise next door's lawnmower makes I just chose to hear only the birdsong.  Wrens are very numerous and marking their territory from the treetops at full throttle.  Warm weather coming tomorrow.

Also looking forward to Chelsea Marion. Have you ever been? I have tickets for this year, and I am really excited about it.

happymarion

I think Chelsea would be too crowded for me but I have been to Malvern and enjoyed that.  I admire how the growers manage to get the flowers and produce ready just for that week!

happymarion

Oh what a lovely day and at least two more promised by the weathermen.  All systems go today.  I can hear the birds encouraging me already - double glazing is no barrier to my enjoyment of them with my new hearing aids!

LesleyK

I am fairly new to this site and have been browsing around and also had some great help with questions.  One thread that stands out is yours Marion.  Your garden is beautiful and I love the updates.  You are quite a marvel.

So pleased to hear that you are adjusting to the hearing aids - must have come as quite a shock when you were shouted at by everyone and the TV. Now all you have to do is listen to all your garden sounds and if people start boring you it will be easy to turn off.  Gorgeous here again again today but I will have to pace myself I'm so stiff from yesterday's marathon weeding session.

happymarion

Glad you are enjoying my Golden Jubilee Year, Lesley.  Do a 15 minute warm up 0f Bend Stretch and Twist exercises before you start the weeding.  No stiffness will be the result!  I have just dead headed a couple of hundred tulips but the late ones are still lovely and I still have hellebores in flower.  The erodiums are starting and the fruit crop is going to be amazing.  One plum has dropped in the "June Drop" already.  The site does not seem to be accepting pics so will try again later.

Advertisement

LesleyK

Looking forward to your "Gardeners Keep Fit" dvd

happymarion

Trying to post pictures again.

happymarion

While I was asleep 70 pelargonium plants arrived for my Gardening for Bristol display in the Bristol in Bloom competition so no prizes for guessing what I will be doing this beautiful day.  I have already opened the roof vent in the conservatory but I think today i may have to open both windows and the door.  If I keep going till Chelsea preview at 3 I should be able to pot on three more tomatoes which will mean one side of the drive will be festooned with tomatoes and tomorrow I will have to start on the other side,  The pelargoniums were posted yesterday in Jersey and were so beautifully packed they looked like they were quite unaware they had been moved.  My begonias from the same source are racing away now so have hopes for a great display.

happymarion

Pelargoniums all potted up.  It was a hot job in 20 degrees.  A few more days like today and I will be running out of my rainwater I saved in the wet winter.  The rhododendrons are now opening up and the poached egg plant is reflecting the sunshine.

happymarion

So much royal purple in my

garden this morning looking so good against the wall to wall blue sky.