Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

After some help with colourful yellow shrubs for my garden...thank you :)

Hi my mother would like a very cheerful border with yellow as a main colour, can anyone recommend any shrubs that I can plant or perhaps shrubs that complement yellow as I would like to break it up with different cheerful colours 

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

If it is sunny you could plant Choisya Sundance. Beautiful yellow leaves

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hypericum 'Hidcote has good yellow flowers.

Euonymus 'Emerald and Gold' looks very bright yellow in early summer.

But don't overdo the yellow. I had a chance over-yellowing, various self seeders around that euonymus. There were yellow poppies and yellow corydalis and yellow stylophorums and other oddments. It looked awful.

Yellows are different tones and shades and they kill each other,

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Yellow is my favourite colour, you can never get enough of the sunshine colour image  Sorry, not much help with advice though as a newbie!!

• Thanks everyone for your advise, I will look on RHS at some of your suggestions and hopefully it will inspire me and give me ideas image Thanks

• Definitely a yellow-leaved Mexican orange blossom, as others have said. White scented flowers a bonus.

Some euphorbias are yellowish too, as are variegated aucubas.

Dark purples work well next to yellow as well. Pittosphorum Tom Thumb is a good one. Black sambucus if you have space. Or a gorgeous purple smoke bush continues.

Underplant with yellow narcissus, primroses, then sterbergia autumn crocus and winter aconite bulbs (also yellow!)

Could also try some purple palm type plants like cordylines and  phormium, which add structure to a border.

• Cotinus, not continues!!! Flippin' predictive text image

• Ooooo this sounds good also thanks JIITG image

• You're most welcome image

Lots of evergreens are good, particularly with bulbs underplanted. All year round colour!