London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
15 messages
31/05/2014 at 07:45

Good morning folks.

I have arranged about 15 Victorian land drains ( clay pipes 300 cm long and 10 cm diameter) in a pattern in my sloping garden, they are upright 20 cm above ground level. I would like to plant alpines etc but I am worried about the soil drying out to quick, the garden gets about 50/50 sun-shade. Any ideas please.

Cheers................Merlot.

31/05/2014 at 08:02

Hello Merlot. Do you want to plant the alpines inside the upright land drains? What is between the land drains and how tall is it? How far apart are the land drains? So you know what sort of soil you have?

31/05/2014 at 08:35

Hello Pansyface. The drains are grouped together a bit like organ pipe formation following the slope of the ground and I would like to plant in some of them. As for soil I suppose it would be whatever I buy from the garden centre.

CHEERS.........Merlot

31/05/2014 at 09:26

Hi Merlot

For alpines you need really free draining soil.  I would chose top soil and plenty of grit not sure what ratio though.  I think it's a brilliant idea, I can just envisage it.  There are some wonderful Saxifrages need to check them out, also Sempervivums which don't need much water (looking after themselves once planted).  I think it will look very effectives.  Good luck

31/05/2014 at 10:19

Thanks a lot I think my green fingers have started growing. I am quite good at using  quirky objects in the garden but it is what  to plant that leaves me stumped.

Cheers...................Merlot.

31/05/2014 at 10:26

Easy alpine type plants are helianthemums or Rock Roses. They come in lots of colours, flower for ages and need hardly any care.

31/05/2014 at 19:26

Thanks all. I am off to the Alpine Centre in Derbyshire tomorrow it will be a nice drive through the Peak District and hopefully we will find a nice spot for a picnic. The added bonus is we will return with goodies ready for planting.

Cheers...............Merlot.

31/05/2014 at 19:51

Is that the one at Calver Sough?

31/05/2014 at 20:04

50/50 mix of grit and soil for apines, merlot. Can't go too far wrong if  you do that. Top dress them with grit once you've planted them too, to keep water away from the neck of the plants and to keep them 'clean'  

31/05/2014 at 20:11

Yes that's the one the website looks interesting and I love the Peak District.

Cheers.......................Merlot.

31/05/2014 at 20:57

And a very nice garden centre just over the road.....

01/06/2014 at 06:40

Good morning all, thanks for the info. The sun is shining the sky is blue, I am going to get busy theres lots to do.

Cheers....................Merlot.

01/06/2014 at 09:43

Morning Merlot I've got lots to do too, but we had rather a late night last night, (or should I say early morning.) It was 4 am before we got into bed and hubby is still there, so I will have to go about things quietly until he gets up.

02/06/2014 at 07:01

4 am Pauline 7 I thought burglars were the only people up and about at that time. Hair of the dog seems like a good idea.

Cheers...............Merlot.

............oops cheers is the wrong word to use I think you and hubby have done enough of that.

02/06/2014 at 20:14

Merlot

No we weren't on the booze, neither of us drink alcohol.We just met up with a couple of friends at their house and got nattering. It was actually getting daylight when we got home !!!

It made a change, I am often getting up at that time !!

email image
15 messages