London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
4 messages
13/09/2013 at 21:17

Hi

I'm wondering if someone can give me info on pruning my blackcurrant bushes.  I know I should take out the old darker shoots, but I've been naughty and not pruned them for a while, so at the end of all the dark shoots are new light growths which will give me the crop next year.  Should I cut most of these down to the ground and hope that new growth will come from the base?

Thanks for any help!

13/09/2013 at 21:30

Hello Patrish.

Blackcurrants flower best on young stems. The way to keep them at their best is to routinely cut out about 30 per cent of the stems that come from the base of the plant. Do this in the winter when the plant is dormant. Cut out any really weedy little branches too. 

You don't have to try to make the bush any particular shape.

That's all there is to it.

13/09/2013 at 21:36

I just take out the very thick stems, which are a few years old, and any that rub or cross against another, which will let in disease. This year, many of the branches got very long, so they were dragging on the ground, and I have pruned out the very outside ones, and tipped some of the very long shoots.

14/09/2013 at 08:30

Thanks for this info.  I'll get out and cut some of the branches down.  Some of my branches were getting rather long and not too easy to get to!

email image
4 messages