Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Came across this ground covering shrub but need help identifying it. x2 photos

• Hmm I was hoping someone would know, I stumbled across it in Surrey in a national trust woodland image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Alkaline or acid soil Paul?

Was it spreading by throwing up new stems or just spreading out?

Any evidence of seeds/berries

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • It was in the north downs on a sandy ridge with pine trees around so I am guessing acidic, no signs of berries, it was spreading out & remained approx 4ft high throughout. Does this help ?
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

Sorry Paul I can't help with ID but I'm posting so I'll get a notification if somebody comes up with a name image

It looks more like a low growing shrub to me and he sort of thing that might go in a corner of my woodland bed so I'd be interested to learn more about it. 

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • the leaves are ab bit like mahonia |(oregon grape) but that grows taller

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352
    I thought that too GG - but I think mahonia leaves might also be a bit more prickly. I also thought it might be a form of beech - but, again, the leaves are not quite right & look too tough. Really interested to know what this is.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Wow Mike - I'd never remember a name like that, not sure I can even pronounce it properly without practice either, but it sounds the sort of thing the NT would plant.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

looks like a cross between a camellia and a beech, but I doubt it somehow

Having been gardening for some 50+yrs now I'm quite good with most 'garden plant' names, but often when I go walking with my dog in the woods and meadows there's so much vegetation I have't a clue about. Not that I need to I suppose....

Mostly they look right growing in their right woodland environment and don't suit the typical garden. Don't think I've got a place in my garden for a patch of whatever Paul has in the photo but be interesting if someone knows what it is

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/179125/#

Have a look at Gaultheria shallon.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

well done nut

A member of the ericacious group so a liking of acidic soil i guess

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.