Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can someone please identify the problem with this conifer & what to do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

• It looks like dieback, possibly from a fungal disease.  I think all you can do is delve inside, cut the dead section out (try to cut a few inches lower than the dead section)and hope the other parts grow to cover the hole.  It looks like a conifer hedge?

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Dieback, hmm is that the only way to deal with it as it will leave a big hole in the hedge? Yeah its conifer

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think it is the only way Paul.  Conifers don't recover from that browning

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Unfortunately, conifers don't sprout new growth from main trunks or branches.  That section is dead as a dodo and won't recover, but you may be able to save the rest by cutting it out promptly, otherwise it might continue to die back to the roots (if it hasn't already.)

The conifers either side in the hedge will grow from the ends of their branches and will hopefully cover the gap in time.  Nature abhors a vacuum! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Ok I will attend to it asap. Thanks a lot for helping me out with this information.