Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can you ID this seed pod

This is the seed pod, my next door neighbour gave it us to guess what it is, I am thinking it is a clematis but not sure

Help please 

Hampshire Gardener

• 6cms big length 1cm and small bit in width can't split it too hard

Hampshire Gardener
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It's not clematis. A tree, not a native one, would be my guess

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Maybe I will plant in a pot see what comes up

Hampshire Gardener
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Good idea Ggimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Is it a scale from a pine tree? If so nothing will germinate unless there is also a seed with it.
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,933

It could be a scale from a pine tree are there any near you so you can get an idea the scales are all similar. I have just enlarged the photo and it looks like the seed is still intact. So I would take a chance and plant it up. Maybe not do anything till next year then you will see something like a mini bottle brush !

Sounds daft but is it like a sliver ,  is it flat. ?

The seeds of pine are very definitely like seeds. The sliver only holds them in place. They are like a small black stone. I presume other colours are available.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

How many have you got, 3? or is it all the same one. You can see a seed in there, if you have more than one you could split it with a knife and see if the black seed is in there. All the conifers in our garden are from seeds and cuttings, dad would pick them up on forest walks.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

You don't have to split them to get the seed out. They fall out naturally when the cone is ripe and dry.

I haven't got a cone to hand, but I feel the photos are taken from the back, so you can't see the seeds.
  • Think I have found it

looked up tree seeds on google and looked at images found this seed looks the same

http://blog.growingwithscience.com/2013/04/seed-of-the-week-monkey-puzzle-tree/

Monkey puzzle tree

Hampshire Gardener