London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
6 messages
04/10/2013 at 11:31

I have had carrot fly damage for 2 years in one of my carrot growing containers (I have heavy clay soil unsuitable for carrots). It is a mix of compost and sand which has been very successful. Will i have to empty it all out and start with fresh (quite a lot to replace) or is there another solution?

The other container about 100 feet away from theinfected one has as yet not been a problem

04/10/2013 at 17:52

I can't answer your question but I am bumping this because I have grown carrots very successfully in tyres this year and want to know if I should change compost to prevent carrot fly! Hope someone can help.

04/10/2013 at 18:14

Simply add,a cover of fleece,and keep your carrots covered during the growing season.

I would remove top couple of inches and add some decent compost.  Prior to seed sowing I would scatter fish blood and bond too Jules.

Outdoor Girl, I would do as I've suggested for Jules.  Mind you, next autumn ...after 3 years......I would,change soil to greater depth.

04/10/2013 at 20:12

Thank you Verdun. Interested to know why the blood fish and bone?

04/10/2013 at 20:37

I just think its the best organic fertiliser.  And better than pelleted chicken manure, for example, as it's a fine grade granule form and won't affect carrots' roots etc.

04/10/2013 at 21:07

Thank you! I thought you might say that - replacing all the compost is sooo expensive!

email image
6 messages