Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Celeriac

Tried celeriac and celery for the first time this year on my plot - it's been a nightmare ! grown from seed in a cold greenhouse since 27th March  - only a 10th germinated . so, bought more seed from marshalls-seeds  - success! - but the seedlings are so slow to grow! Is this normal for these plants?

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

Hello , grew celeriac for first time on allottment last year from seed and yes they where small but tasted ok 

celery I buy plants from garden centre and again not big but eatable 

as long as eatable I am ok with it , best of luckimage

• plotskierplotskier Posts: 65

Starting to respond to all the rain ( and thunder /lightening) we've had lately.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Celeriac needs a long growing season. I grew them for the first time last year and it was possibly October or later before they were ready to start picking. The top leaves grew but the edible part seemed to take forever to swell. They did evetually grow slightly smaller to those bought in supermarkets before I started to harvest them.

Sowed them mid April this year, in modules and the seedlings are still only just over a couple of inches tall with roots just begining to poke through the bottom of the modules but looking healthy.

They were slow to germinate but me thinks they are a veg well worth growing, harvested at a time when very little else is available.

Good luck, patience is a virtue image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Be of good cheer! Accept that there are just some vegetables that grow better commercially than you can grow yourself. Celeriac is one of them.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

I will definitely grow them again 

best of luck everybodyimage

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I've tried growing them for the third year had the same problem, you have to take some of the old leaves to make them swell and this year somebody told me they need lots of water and manure and compost and don't bury them too deep.So that's what I'm doing this year.