Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

clematis

hi I am new to this site which looks interesting so here goes 

and would like advice please on clematis cuttings , I first studied a video on u tube which advised placing the cuttings in a plastic sealed back . which I cannot seem to buy anywhere , somebody has mentioned a ordinary carrier bag will this do the trick.

thank you                                                                                                           tea urn

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,618

Any supermarket will have clear food storage bags which have zip lock tops.

Ordinary carrier bags which are opaque are no good. If you have the cuttings in a 3 inch pot, use a cut down 2l pop bottle as a propagator.

I use a tray with a propagator lid, available from most garden centres.

• tea urntea urn Posts: 3

thank you fidgetbones 

• I would recommend that if you do put it in a propagator, bag or pop bottle to let the cutting breath each day by shaking out surplus moisture that has accumulated, then put back it's protective covering.  I found over the years that the reason mine went moldy was because I didn't remove the moisture.  Don't know if anyone else has had the same experience.  Personally I never cover cuttings anymore, just spray them lightly and keep them in a cool shady spot until they've taken.

• I have successfully got a cutting to grow, I took  a woody small bit  of the stem and with a leaf and pinned it  into the earth in a pot and left a shade spot and watered and did not disturb it  and now its ready to plant.

• tea urntea urn Posts: 3

thank you all for replying my wife has suggested cling film , rather hastily I put cuttings in a larger plant pot consequently no larger bags of the type fidgetbones suggest and I do not wish to disturb and put in smaller pots although it was only 3 days ago if feedback suggest no cling film I will leave open in the green house.    thank you again for your input 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Ventilation is always important tea urn, so as ERiser says , watch for condensation on any cover you have for the cuttings - let them have some air. At this time of year they should be fine without too much help - I would only cover at night but it's a  trial and error process as it depends on your location and conditions.    image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • The top half of a 2litre bottle works perfectly as a mini propagator, try to avoid the leaves of the cuttings touching the sides, as this may encourage them to get Mildred problems. Use the lid to ventilate it if condensation builds up too much.