Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Climber for shady wall?

Sprig2Sprig2 Posts: 74

I am looking for a replacement climber for a north east facing wall.

Ideally I would like a rose but open to ideas. Here are some pics

of the situation. (hopefully! first time doing pics and spacing seems

to have gone strange).

We are talking about the wall on the right with the 2 windows,

sad looking shrub and sad looking daffs. That empty parking

space is mine and I will not be parking in it. The wall faces north

east but as you can see the house is pretty tall so it does not

get much sun. At this time of year, maybe a few hours in the

morning.

The plan is to get rid of the shrub that is there at the moment,

which is this.

It had not been looked after prior to us moving in last year and

is mainly brown and twiggy. We will probably keep the bit in the

corner to hide the pipes. As you can see the bed is quite narrow.

We have quite sandy soil but things tend to grow well.

As I said, a rose would be ideal, but willing to consider anything

that flowers and it not too bulky, so we do not lose light in

the dining room. The plan would be to plant up the bed below

as well so any suggestions for that also welcome. Thanks in

advance.

• Sprig2Sprig2 Posts: 74

Not sure why this posted twice, I definitely only pressed submit once! Also how do I move this to 'Plants'? I did not mean to put it in 'Talkback' - that was definitely my error!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Climbing roses that would do well there are Golden Showers, New Dawn, Iceberg and Zephirine Drouin which are all repeat flowerers,   Mme Alfred Carrière and Souvenir de Dr Jamain will do nicely but only flower once.

A good shrub rose for that position would be Mary Rose, a David Austin rose bred for fragrance and disease resistance and suitable for shade.

You will need to dig out the old shrub and all its roots and replenish the soil with new soil or plenty of well rotted garden compost and some well rotted horse manure as roses are hungry plants and need good soil.  They will benefit form a mulch of garden compost every autumn after some prolonged rain and a good dollopd of blood fish and bone in spring.

The daffs can be lifted and planted elsewhere and should perk up in new soil with some food in it.  Try planting shorter daffs such as tête-à-tête or Pippit for a softer yellow or Minnow which is creamier.   They won't blow around as much in wnds so won't suffer from broken stems.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

The shrub you have is a winter flowering jasmine - jasmiine nudiflorum.It will respond well to being cut hard back now if you want to keep some of it.

You could plant a climbing Hydrangea  - Hydrangea petiolaris

which like the jasmine can be cut back to keep it close to the wall and shaped around the windows. Bright green foliage followed by white panicles of flowers in May , yellow foliage in autumn and a tapestry of rich brown branches in winter. Takes some time before it clings to the wall my itself but grows quite quickly. 

I thought it was a jasmine and had looked up that if it was then knew it would grow back well if cut hard back. I am not keen on them though so will probably go for something else. On the opposite wall is a climbing hydrangea so will go for something different I think.

I will look up those roses suggested - I am particularly keen to get something repeat flowering if I can.

I think the daffs will probably be fine next year. I have only just stopped parking my car there so I think they suffered from lack of light. I will give them another year I think.

Are you sure that is a climbing hydrangea opposite? Mine is only just coming into leaf and the foliage is much brighter than yours.

No! I was just told that it is. Until that point I did not know they existed.

I can't see the leaves clearly but if you post another picture of the leaves, I'm sure we could identify it for you. It looks like an evergreen. I'm guessing but maybe a pyracantha...

• Ashleigh 2Ashleigh 2 Posts: 256

Hi Sprig, there are also lots of Clematis that would do well there and they combine well with roses, Fujimusume and Pink Fantasy are two of my favourites but there are many more, www.taylorsclematis.co.uk have an option to search their site for shade tolerant varieties.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

This academic website lists 79 clematis suitable for shade and hardy to USDA zone 5 - http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemlist.cfm   You could redo the search with a more hardy rating. 

If you want perfume as well as colour you really need to go for roses.  

Clematis x triternata 'Rubromarginata' smells of sweet almonds but it has very small flowers which will have less impact than roses.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato